CoinPeople.com

QE II's 80th Birthday

Ian

This is the `over the counter for a fiver' version obtainable from local post offices of the 2006 Queen Elizabeth II 80th Birthday commemorative £5 coin.

BTW...It was impossible for me to find an unblemished coin in the batch that had been sent to my local PO. All had minute scratches and little digs on the surfaces.

The surfaces are very highly reflective, hence my attempts to scan have produced less than dramatic results. It's a nice coin but typically bland in my humble opinion, and therefore in keeping with most modern Brit coins (ie almost instantly forgetable!).

Most people in Britland will have access to these while stocks last but if anyone from outside the UK wants me to get them one at their face value (plus any shipping costs) just let me know.

910372.jpg

What is the size and weight on this? It's a nice coin. (I mean size and weight relative to like the 2 pound coin).

What is the size and weight on this? It's a nice coin.  (I mean size and weight relative to like the 2 pound coin).

The modern CuNi £5 coin is crown size (roughly Morgan dollar size). It is issued (technically) into circulation, but of course they are only very very rarely ever seen in the wild. I've never seen a £5 in circulation....ever.

I've just weighed that one and it comes in at circa 28.6 gms of pure base metals.

These are also struck in proof silver for the collectors market and at extortionate rates. The secondary market in a couple of years time will no doubt see silver proofs selling at about half the issue price (unless silver really takes a massive hike between now and then). A very small number are also struck in gold for the real hob nobs who have plenty of money to spare..... and apparently little will power. :ninja:

Ian

The modern CuNi £5 coin is crown size (roughly Morgan dollar size). It is issued (technically) into circulation, but of course they are only very very rarely ever seen in the wild. I've never seen a £5 in circulation....ever. 

Ian

I was given a £5 coin in change last year, in Tesco's supermarket! I then wanted to spend it later, in the same supermarket, (it was 'well circulated and not worth collecting), and the checkout insisted in confirming with the supervisor before accepting it! So much for a 'circulation coin'! :ninja:

I was given a £5 coin in change last year, in Tesco's supermarket! I then wanted to spend it later, in the same supermarket, (it was 'well circulated and not worth collecting), and the checkout insisted in confirming with the supervisor before accepting it! So much for a 'circulation coin'! :ninja:

I remember someone over at uk.r.c.c mentioning that they had got a £5 coin from the checkout at their local supermarket. It might have been Tony Clayton (?). Anyway I remember thinking at the time that a £5 coin turning up in circulation was quite amazing in light of my own experiences. Amazing that the checkout assistant knew what it was and had accepted it in the first place, and then managing to get someone to accept it as part of their change.

I remember taking a five pound coin, a commonwealth games (1986) £2 and a 1996 football £2 to my local corner shop. Bear in mind it's a shop I had been using with some frequency for nearly fifteen years. They insisted that they weren't `real' money and refused to accept them. As I had only done it to see what the reaction would be I didn't protest overly, and paid for the goods with a tenner instead. They weren't prepared to take any chances. I've tried on occasion at different venues (cafes, cinemas, supermarkets) to spend my `funny money' all with the same sad results. :-)

Ian

• 1 year later...

I had no idea you could buy them at your local post office! Of course, I am in Britland too I might get one - but is it redeemable for a fiver if I feel I don't like it? :>/

Oh I now realise it is technically spendable, but like the Morgan Dollars at some times in the past in America they just ain't/weren't recognised as currency!

To be honest with you, I am getting a feeling these are a Royal Mint gimmick, what is the significance of this coin?

Although you can never be sure with the Queen..

Archived