CoinPeople.com

Introduced in the House of Reps yesterday.

Dockwalliper

By Mr. LUCAS :

H.R. 5077. A bill to amend title 31, United States Code, to provide a clear line of demarcation with regard to private ownership of any coin, medal, or numismatic item made or issued by the United States Government before January 1, 1933, that is not in the possession of the United States Government, to establish certain guidelines and requirements with respect to the inventory, preservation, public display, and disposition of certain United States coins, medals, and numismatic items that were struck or made after December 31, 1932, and for other purposes; to the Committee on Financial Services.

I don't think I like this.

Its the "other purposes" that always gets us.

....permit the Mint to sell duplicates of any rare coins, experimental pieces and similar items.

:ninja:

What is the point of this bill?

Just to let the mint sell a lot of 1933 $20 gold?

What is the point of this bill?

Just to let the mint sell a lot of 1933 $20 gold?

I don't give them the benefit of the doubt. This bill is more likely a legislative wedge to allow the seizure of privately held precious metal coins. The Constitution doesn't grant Congress the power to legislate government ownership of any money whatsoever, but that usually never seems to matter to the current crop of morally retarded numbskulls who pass for legislators these days.

• 2 weeks later...
I read thru the text and it dosen't seem as bad as I thought it might be.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:h5077:

Yeah, I read the write up in NN, and it seems the intent is just to state explicitely that the government will not be able to come after any coins made before 1933. So it would legalize things like 1913 Liberty Nickels.

They still wanna keep the gold.  :ninja:

Indeed. Any 1933 $20, 1964 Silver $1, and 1974 AL 1c will still be confiscated.

If the mint had any of these coins on hand, who could authorize them to be sold; only Congress?

• 2 weeks later...

Late on a comment, but there's still the March 15 - April 4, 1933 timeframe when there were 100,000 1933 Saints available for LEGAL purchase. Whether or not any were sold has never been mentioned.

Jerry

Archived