CoinPeople.com

Finally, the Jubilee Head!

Doogy

I've been picking up reasonably priced Sovereigns when I find them, and I enjoy the fact that the British Empire coined them in different countries too. My favorite ones have been the Aussie ones, and I really like the Jubilee head style. Problem is, I always seem to be outbid; but not tonight! I just won this NGC MS61 from 1889, and at three dollars under current gold melt value! :ninja:

Its fun when you find a coin you're really after, and when it comes at a very reasonable price, it feels all the more sweeter. Just had to share with the forum!

Doug

49_3.JPG

59_3.JPG

Cool! I think that's the first time I've actually seen a "MS61", it an odd grade (personally, I just consider it to be 60.)

MS61 is common on gold coins with lots of contact marks. It's also frequently used on other types of coins that have been lightly cleaned.

Where were my manners. :lol:

Nice pickup on the sovereign, at under melt life is good. :ninja:

Under melt value + great looking coin = Fantastic deal.

The obverse doesn't do a thing for me but the reverse is one of my favorite designs.

Vice Versa, it's the reverse i never cared for! The obverse strikes of Victorian Imperialism though.

Vice Versa, it's the reverse i never cared for! The obverse strikes of Victorian Imperialism though.

I agree with the obverse sentiment; the neat Victorian look really impresses me. I have to admit that i do think St. George slaying the dragon is kinda' cool to!

Doug

Way to go, Doug :lol:

Nice catch :ninja:

I like both the obverse and the reverse - it's a beautiful design. Now, is the dragon slayer revers that is shown on the CP banner from a soverign like yours or is it impossible to tell?

thanks! yeah, the St. George on the back is the same as the CP banner. From what i know, all of the British sovereigns in the last 100 years or so have had it.

Doug

thanks!  yeah, the St. George on the back is the same as the CP banner.  From what i know, all of the British sovereigns in the last 100 years or so have had it.

Doug

Most but not all, 2002 was a shield design and i think 2005 was a really bad attempt, looked like a cartoon!

For Jubilee head gold i really dig the half sovereigns.

Archived