CoinPeople.com

Up from the basement...

Tiffibunny

I went to Patrick's parents house tonight because I was supposed to look at his Mom's 3 gold coins that were given to her by her Grandmother, which I did. I will post those pics in a bit, but his Dad says, hey I have a few old coins in the basement, you wanna look at them. I say of course I do. So, he brings some stuff up, and goes back down and, comes back and goes down and comes back and this is "just a few coins"...

sdcxhj.jpg

:ninja:

So, this was the most fun I've ever had over there. I'll go through more details as I go here.

Guest Stujoe

Awesome! I am glad it ended up being a good night. :ninja: That looks like quite a little hoard. It will be interesting to hear what kind of stuff he saved.

sddzs7.jpg

Jars of red copper, just so much, UNC rolls of cents, dimes... I didn't have enough time to look at 1/4 of it. World stuff, I found old stuff from England, old Swiss silvers... just a treasure trove, nothing worth a ton or anything, but it's still fun to see something like that.

And the bad news... silvers "protected" by being sealed in strips of tape, some dollars slimy in slimy plastic holders, some RED 37-40 wheaties stuck together with tape. I almost cried. I have taken some of these home to try and stop the damage.

I also got a few UCC candidates in the process. :ninja:

Let's see I recall some Canadian halfpenny tokens, world coins from all over, some real old stuff that was near slugish, holed English stuff... I'm still just in shock over it all. Now I am enlisted to of course, get everything identified and protected and valued blah blah, though they won't let me take it home. :ninja:

A bunch of old German paper, some silver German 2 Marks, a couple of the commems...

German crowns are always nice. :ninja:

Sounds like some of the usual hoard problem with storage. Were you able to get that Columbian into a decent holder?

Nope, I had no idea about any of it. I didn't have any supplies with me, but I made them put the more valuable coins in a safe place where they wouldn't be jostled until I can get some holders and whatnot to them.

That sounds like a fun evening. It must be very exciting to go through a hoard like that. Think of all the fine items you'll get to "save" from destruction. You're probably just in time.

Nice items thanks for sharing with us.

Very nice type 1 gold dollar and lib half eagle! My uncle still has an Indian eagle that his grandma gave to him and my day and aunt. It was a nice coin, but I believe he "shined it up" at some point, so now it's a half ounce of gold with sentimental value (fortunately he learned soon after that not to ever shine anything up again!).

Archived