CoinPeople.com

Up from the basement...

Tiffibunny

Any suggestions on how I can get this crud off would be appreciated.

You might want to try Aceton.

If that doesn't work, there is dedicated stuff to remove tape / sticker glue. We use it quite a lot at work and it works real fine.

Haven't tried it on a coin though, so you might want to test it on a less valuable one...

http://www.kontaktchemie.dk/Produktoversigt/label_off_50.htm

datasheet in PDF

Oh, going through that is far too much for one person. Ship me half. :ninja:

Seriously, the "injured" coins notwithstanding, that's got to be a ball wandering through all those.

You might want to try Aceton.

If that doesn't work, there is dedicated stuff to remove tape / sticker glue. We use it quite a lot at work and it works real fine.

Haven't tried it on a coin though, so you might want to test it on a less valuable one...

http://www.kontaktchemie.dk/Produktoversigt/label_off_50.htm

datasheet in PDF

I thought acetone turned copper a funny color.

Investment in a good sonic cleaner? That old tape should (no promises but should) come off with just a soak in rubbing alcohol and then using a q-tip to wipe them clean. That old tape was gum resin based if I remember right. Otherwise I would stick them in a sonic cleaner for a while.

...Now I am enlisted to of course, get everything identified and protected and valued blah blah, though they won't let me take it home.  :ninja:

Of course not. They want you to visit more! :lol:

Too bad with all the glued and tatooed coins. I had a lot like that myself from my GU's collection. It was a lot of work to "restore" the ones that I wanted to keep -almost a year. But it is fun to look at new stuff though! :cry:

I think acetone is your best bet to remove the glue residue. Shouldn't take very long. And it shouldn't harm the coins in anyway.

Archived