CoinPeople.com

How do you preserve your coins?

gxseries

Here is something I thought about for quite some time but I have no idea if you are going to agree or more likely disagree with what I think.

(I apologize in advance for the lengthy post)

Most coin collectors would agree that a 2x2 holder is at least a must in catagorizing coins and most certainly one of the cheapest option to store coins. Next, you might as well get a large plastic container to hold all the folders and some silicas to keep the moisture out. But of course, you are more likely to have some rarer coins which you want to preserve in much better care, especially copper and silver coins.

Assume that pricing is not a major factor here, as your coins might really be precious. The few options that I thought of was to either get some airtite plastic capsules or get them slabbed. But here are the disadvantages that I saw.

Airtitle plastic capsules is probably one of the cheapest way to get the coins protected from knocking with other coins, like in a 2x2 folder. In fact, it might look good, supposely if you can find a nice case that goes along with it. However, as you know coins come in all various sizes, and so does the coin capsules, and you get them rolling all over your house. Of course you can always get some "standard" sized capsules, but often I found it quite "annoying" as you don't get to see the edges of the coins, well although recent mintage does not really care much about edge designs.

Slabbing coins would probably solve a lot of problems, as you get the gradings, no air leakage issues, and most importantly, they are suppose to last quite long. You can even get prepared PCGS presentation boxes easily as the slabs are in one standard size (well excluding other lol slabbing companies for the moment). The only two slight problems that I have with slabs is that firstly the edges are almost, if not impossible to view! What good is it, if you cannot view the edges of the coin, as it may hold some historic importance. Afterall, a coin is a 3D object, not a 2D! The next thing that I have seen is that coins that got slabbed often get misaligned from time to time, and honestly, I just found that pretty distracting... of course, it shouldn't be, but to me, I just don't like how it is misaligned. (Well exclude the fact that I am not living in the US, so send coins to the US and back here is going to be quite difficult, and possibly a bunch of headaches)

What do you think?

(Oh slightly unrelated but does anyone know any major slabbing companies that deal with overstriked coins and dies? :ninja: )

I have a whole mix but usually I put the coins worth over $40.00 into plastic capsules for extra protection.

The others get the the cardboard 2x2's

Most coin collectors would agree that a 2x2 holder is at least a must in catagorizing coins and most certainly one of the cheapest option to store coins. Next, you might as well get a large plastic container to hold all the folders and some silicas to keep the moisture out. But of course, you are more likely to have some rarer coins which you want to preserve in much better care, especially copper and silver coins.

I avoid 2x2s like the plague, i've had alot of problems with coins turning in them, usually verdigried. I live in a rather humid house. Coins in 2x2s usually start sweating pretty quickly. I saved a few German coins from the 2x2s they were in, they had only been in the house like 2 months and they were sweating away. Winter months aren't too bad, but i used to lose alot in summer.

Since switching to a coin cabinet i seem to have solved the problem. The cabinet manages to maintain it's own environment somehow, the coins are always cold in there no matter how hot it gets. That and i keep the cabinet stored in a cool dark cupboard.

You may want to try placing your coins in Kointains holders. The Kointain holder will then fit into a cardbard and mylar 2x2 that you can staple shut. Then you have the advantage of Identifying your coin by writing on the 2x2s. The 2x2 can then be stored in a 20 pocket page that fits into a three ring binder. I did an Uncirculated 20th Century type set using this method. Worked great. :ninja:

Here's a source ofr the kointains.

http://www.telesphere.com/supplies/kointains.html

Hum, thanks for the ideas. Well I am not too sure what to do with some of the giant copper coins that I have - they are just too big to have any standard size. For example: like this.

5kopeksfrontsmall2ul.jpg

As you can see, they have some red brilliance in them, (well they are a bit too contrasted, so the colors are a bit too wrong in there :ninja: )

I think sending to a slabbing company might be a good idea, but the packing, and customs is a headache to deal with. I had many nasty experiences with the customs here so ;) Also, I don't know if overstriked coins are even worth slabbing. ;)

Hum, thanks for the ideas. Well I am not too sure what to do with some of the giant copper coins that I have - they are just too big to have any standard size. For example: like this.

5kopeksfrontsmall2ul.jpg

As you can see, they have some red brilliance in them, (well they are a bit too contrasted, so the colors are a bit too wrong in there ;) )

I think sending to a slabbing company might be a good idea, but the packing, and customs is a headache to deal with. I had many nasty experiences with the customs here so ;) Also, I don't know if overstriked coins are even worth slabbing. :lol:

Now those are a challenge!

:ninja:

I avoid 2x2s like the plague, i've had alot of problems with coins turning in them, usually verdigried. I live in a rather humid house. Coins in 2x2s usually start sweating pretty quickly. I saved a few German coins from the 2x2s they were in, they had only been in the house like 2 months and they were sweating away. Winter months aren't too bad, but i used to lose alot in summer.

Since switching to a coin cabinet i seem to have solved the problem. The cabinet manages to maintain it's own environment somehow, the coins are always cold in there no matter how hot it gets. That and i keep the cabinet stored in a cool dark cupboard.

Have you ever tried using silica jell for extra protection? It takes the moisture out of the air and you should be able to get packets at your local supermarket.

Have you ever tried using silica jell for extra protection?  It takes the moisture out of the air and you should be able to get packets at your local supermarket.

I haven't seen any but i think i know a place i'll be able to get them from. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Slabbing is no solution. The slabs allow the coin to react to the atmosphere because they aren't actually airtight. Larry's method with Kointains and 2x2s sounds good but the kointains come in a limited number of sizes.

Keep us updated on what you find out. I've been slogging along with 2x2s and pocket pages for so long that I can't dream of anything else. 'Course I've never had a coin ruined in a 2x2 except when some butterfingers (usually me) dropped the thing.

Well honestly, I don't have too much problems with 2x2 if let's say if I get coin trays to accodomate the more expensive coins that I want to take proper care of.

The thing is that I have 6 coins that refuse to fit in 2x2 because of their massive size :ninja: I think I am forced to put them in 2.5 x 2.5 for the time being...

I haven't seen any but i think i know a place i'll be able to get them from. I've been thinking about it for a while.

I've accumulated it from buying wallets and shoes etc. where there is a sachet already in.

Like Aethling, I store my coins in a cabinet in an armoire. My BU coins, or ones with relative amounts of lustre are stored in Airtites in the cabinet. In fact, any remotely valuable coin goes in an Airtite, or one that would be susceptible to oxidation etc.

Well honestly, I don't have too much problems with 2x2 if let's say if I get coin trays to accodomate the more expensive coins that I want to take proper care of.

The thing is that I have 6 coins that refuse to fit in 2x2 because of their massive size :ninja: I think I am forced to put them in 2.5 x 2.5 for the time being...

Then you've got coins which don't fit in 2.5x2.5 ...

2x2's are cheezy... folders are a longterm mess but that's what i use right now. or tubes.. airtites are the best i guess? but how do you keep them.. at least 2x2's can be filed... danscos are the best albums? i'm not sure yet... i just keep my coins on the bookshelf :rollseyes:

5kopeksfrontsmall2ul.jpg

Are those inches or cm?

When it's cm, then I see no problem there.

My (dutch) supplier sells coin capsules (airtites) for coins with diameters up to 50 mm:

link to page in dutch

I use mainly self adhsive 2x2's which go in 12 or 20 pocket binder pages for my uncirculated coins and for silver coins.

base metal coins go in Importa albums

I've got a very few coins in the above mentinoed coin capsules, as they are too big for those 2x2's (American Silver Eagle and Maria Theresia Thaler)

• 5 months later...

I put all of my raw coins in 2x2's which are stapled on four sides and inserted in sheets for storage in custom albums.

For certified coins I use the grading companies storage boxes (without tops) to avoid scratches.

Then everything is locked in a 180cf stainless vault (painted with a corrosion-inhibitor) with a 2,000 gram canister of silica gel.