CoinPeople.com

Lakeland Show report....and New purchases!

kryptonitecomics

Well I am back from the Lakeland show and all I can say is I had a great time!!! I can't say that the show was very spectacular especially not from a toned coin collectors standpoint but I was able to meet up with Jim (Lablover on all forums) and we roamed the floor together. Jim is a real fun guy and we have similar tastes that include rainbow toners :lol: The show had moderate traffic and most of the dealers complained that they weren't having a good show but there were a few exceptions including the guy I bought my coins from who had some really great coins with very reasonable prices. Jim bought a few raw IHC's from him but we were both admiring all of the pretty Large Cents and Half cents he had from the recent Rivers auction.

After a few hours and a few more purchases by Jim, we grabbed some lunch and waited for another PCGS forum member AndrewU to show up. He was late and showed up wearing a Florida Gators cap.....not a good combination but once he pulkled out his toned coins....all was forgiven. I hadn't talked to Andrew before so it was a real pleasure to talk coins and learn of his past employment with Heritage etc. Looking through his toned coins was like popping Acid.......what a color trip man!!!! :cry:

Jim and I tussled over who would buy which quarters and I let Jim have his way with the Roosies....lol Andrew might not post a lot but make no mistake....this guy is a serious collectors and has he has a great eye for coins ;)

After the show and tell session I ran back into the show to pick up a shotgun roll of BU 1962-D Roosevelt dimes hoping to get lucky and get some color since one end of the roll had a cardboard plug. After searching through them at home I found out I struck out but the coins are in amazing condition and I would say that at least have the roll is 65+ so I might try to dig out the best 2 or 3 and send them off for grading. :ninja:

At around 3PM Jim and I decided to take off since we had to drive back to Orlando......ran into a major traffic jam that turned it into a 2 hour drive....ouch.

So here are my newps:

I have never owned a net graded coin until today and never thought I would......net graded = problem coin and most of us spend a lot of time trying to avoid coins like this.....but once I saw it in the dealer case......I just couldn't stop looking at it. The coin is white which is not what I collect but there was just a ton of detail on this Classic coin and the problem wasn't all that noticable unless you go looking for it so I decided what the heck!!! Now if someone could just give me a little info about what an Overton 112 is that would be real cool....looks like something is going on with the 2 in the date.

1825CBH2.jpg

Second coin is raw and fit the bill as far as original color and I also needed a seated dime for my toned type set so hopefully I can get this holdered by NGC. It has an old small staple scratch on the lower obverse that is toned over now so I might have a shot......but if not...I still like the coin raw.

1876Seateddime2.jpg

Nice Bust half! EF to VF20... That is quite a downgrade for a scratch or scratches that I am not even sure I see. :ninja: Can't help with that Overton but congrats on the purchases!

Nice report and newps!

1825 O-112:

R.3, pairs obverse 9 with reverse K. On the obverse the 2 is slightly recut with the base lower than the others in the date. Star 13 very close to touching the curl. Reverse has AME solidly joined, vertical die defect line through upper 4 crossbars at right on shield. Line 3 of stripe 2 and line 1 of stripe 4 extend to the third crossbar. Hope this helps!

Sure does....thanks for the info jtryka!!!

and yes the scratch or scrathes are very light.....I am a little suprised that a coin of this age isn't given a little more leeway as far as a scratch etc....but I guess as long as the services are consistant then who am I to argue?

The good news is I paid VF money for the coin so I got a vf with a heck of a lot of detail so how can I be mad an ANACS..... :ninja:

Nice coins and report. I always keep a lookout for ANACS net graded coins. Every now and then you can catch a good one like yours. A scratch on a 180 year old coin is kinda expected in my book. I cant even see them from the pics.

Good stuff.

Archived