CoinPeople.com

Thinking of buying gold eagle

Recehan

Slabbed

Pro: Authentic, graded, protected (assuming top 3 TPG)

Con: More expensive, scratched cases are unattractive (found that out)

Not Slabbed

Pro: Cheaper, easier to display, easier to obtain as well.

Con: Not as protected (until you put it in a case), possible fake, lower quality (possible)

If I were buying gold bullion just for the coin, I'd go unslabbed. As an investment, NGC or PCGS graded PR70 and not a point lower. Really any modern proof bullion coin is going to be a very high 60. That's why I say 70 and not lower for investment.

To me it depends upon whether you like proofs or Uncs better. Me, I prefer uncs to proofs but others are the opposite.

Either way, I see no reason to get one that is slabbed.

To me it depends upon whether you like proofs or Uncs better. Me, I prefer uncs to proofs but others are the opposite.

Either way, I see no reason to get one that is slabbed.

A somewhat related question: have there been many reports/sightings of counterfeit versions of the modern US gold eagle bullion series?

Here's an idea: US gold commems such as the Statue of Liberty $5, the Constitution $5 or the Bill of Rights $5. Any of the proofs can be had for less than $200 and can usually be found in presentation cases and the coin is in its own capsule. The proofs of these commemoratives are very nice.

Yup. Sure are counterfeits. Problem with these modern coins is getting the strike right. These are so well struck that getting those kinds of details is difficult, but not impossible.

Weight could be another problem. Although it would be easy to solve.

If it is gold, there are sure to be counterfeits. That goes for US, World, Bullion or whatever. It is not something I would worry much about myself, though, as I would never buy any gold coins from anyone but a well trusted dealer.

If you are thinking of buying something like that off of Ebay, well, I can't help you much there as I don't feel comfortable buying much over 20 bucks off of there. :ninja:

I agree with 28 Plain, you could get a 3-piece Statue of Liberty proof or unc set for well under $200 (I bought my sets back when they were selling for less than $100!), same with the 2-piece Constitution, or the 2-piece set from the 88 Olympics which has a very pretty half eagle. All these sets are less than $200 and each half eagle has .241875 oz of pure gold. The mintages of many of these coins are a lot higher than the AGE proofs, the SOL is a total of 500,000, but the unc is only 95,248, the 88 Olympic has an image of Nike on the obverse, and the unc mintage is only 62,913. The 89 Congress commen is also nice, with an unc mintage of only 46,899. It's true these mintages are high for modern commems (just look at the 5,727 mintage of the 2002 Olympic half eagle), but they are still miniscule my modern standards and you can buy them for little over melt!

Archived