CoinPeople.com

greetings coin people

New here from northern IL. Just started collecting mostly modern stuff but I'm also interested in foreign currencies.

Ikes, Kennedy's, double eagles and varieties of all small coins are my faves. This is really cool forum here, I found a lot of information already and I haven't bought a single book/guide yet! :ninja:

Ikes, Kennedy's, ... 

Definitely unappreciated areas of collecting. Much work remains to be done and therefore, many profits remain to be made.

By "double eagles" do you mean the modern US$50 gold Eagles, or do you mean the Saints 1908-1932? or the earlier Liberties?

Generic foreigns tend to get short shrift, unfortunately. The lack of a Whitman folder is one drawback -- as opposed to Stamps, where you can get a starter book with Nations on Pages. Even so, I find something compelling in getting a couple pounds of mixed foreigns from the local dealer and going through them just to see. Looking through a book is not the same. I owned a Krause SCWC for several years before I saw large Chinese bronze 10- and 20-cash in a dealer junkbox.

Definitely unappreciated areas of collecting.  Much work remains to be done and therefore, many profits remain to be made. 

By "double eagles" do you mean the modern US$50 gold Eagles, or do you mean the Saints 1908-1932? or the earlier Liberties?

Generic foreigns tend to get short shrift, unfortunately.  The lack of a Whitman folder is one drawback -- as opposed to Stamps, where you can get a starter book with Nations on Pages.  Even so, I find something compelling in getting a couple pounds of mixed foreigns from the local dealer and going through them just to see.  Looking through a book is not the same.  I owned a Krause SCWC for several years before I saw large Chinese bronze 10- and 20-cash in a dealer junkbox.

thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I really like the Saint Gaudens designed eagles. It's all a matter of preference but that's definitely one U.S. coin I wish I owned in AU/MS.

Prior to getting bitten by the collecting bug the most exposure to foreign currency I ever had was Canadian loons and some odd (now defunct) Nicaraguan paper. I'm constantly looking over small pence coins (GBritan, Aus) whenever I get the chance. I'm starting to fall for the pretty silver Philippine-U.S. pesos from the early 20th cent. era. I have two (1907,1908)

Archived