CoinPeople.com

Dipping

syzygy

I could measure it for you. If you have a scale to .01g and a way to suspend the coin in water the you can do it yourself.

Here's one where the e Z est Coin cleaner did little, the Nic a lene coin cleaner seemed to work a bit better.

Before

...e z Est:

...nic a lene

Is the coin silver or copper-nickel?

@ jlueke

That nic a lene is impressive

Does it say what acid and other goodies are inside ? I never heard that one mentioned before

Unlike the thiourea and sulfuric acid in regular coin dips, this one is phoshoric acid mixed into some kind of detergent along with some ether.

Use at your own risk

The same company that makes nic a lene has a product for toning cents, but that one works horribly. Deller's darkener is the only way to go.

Not that anyone should clean or tone their coins anyway.

Unlike the thiourea and sulfuric acid in regular coin dips, this one is phoshoric acid mixed into some kind of detergent along with some ether.

Use at your own risk

If I remember rightly phosporic acid is what makes cola work to take oxidation off nuts and bolts

All these mixtures need a wetting agent called a surfactant = soap or detergent to facilitate contact between liquid and metal

The ether probably is bis ether

http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/ind...YL)%20ETHER.htm

It does sound as if full face shield and full gloves and full labo outfit protection are necessary to mess with this one

I dislike violent reactions :ninja:

What about coppers....? I've seen some awfully "funky red" samples out there,,,,, too much tobasco sauce? .... and how the heck can grading services identify dipped coins. From the examples show in this thread I don't see how they could. Is it easier to ID coppers that have been dipped than Silver?

I think copper can take on a pinkish hue after dipping but I am not positive. I have seen the pinkish colored coins though and know somerthing was done to them! :ninja:

I think that is the thing with copper. It is often easier to tell when something has been done to it. At least compared to silver.

I think copper can take on a pinkish hue after dipping but I am not positive. I have seen the pinkish colored coins though and know somerthing was done to them! :ninja:

I think that is the thing with copper. It is often easier to tell when something has been done to it. At least compared to silver.

Dipped copper looks "pumpkin" colored or, as Stu said, "pinkish".

Some people out there are virtual experts in dipping and recoloring old copper.

I have a couple of what I thought were "original" large cents, but, at some point,

they had been dipped and recolored, probably using Deller's Darkener. You can't

really spot a lot of these if they have been done by one of the pro's.

If I am ever able to calibrate my pics to show copper properly I'll post some examples. Copper done with the harsh dips will turn pinkish and be easy to spot. It is possible to lighten copper fairly effectively, but since the metal is more reactive than silver it's much easier to damage the coin's surface which removes the luster and gives away the cleaning. The darkener is interesting too.

Is there a thread somewhere that explains how that works?

I have a coin that according to Krause, has two varieties for the same year- same size and weight, but different silver content: 0.500 and 0.900. I do not know which mine is. :ninja:

If the coins are the same weight but have a silver content that much different then the one with smaller silver content should be larger in diameter or thickness than the other.

But there is a way that should be easier, use the tissue test. Cover your coin and another coin that you know is .900 silver, side by side, with a tissue. If the coins appear to be the same color when viewed through the tissue then your coin is .900 silver. If your coin appears to be darker, then it is .500 silver.

If the coins are the same weight but have a silver content that much different then the one with smaller silver content should be larger in diameter or thickness than the other.

Unfortunately I only have to one example and cannot thus make a comparison. (Nor have I been successful finding any pertinant info on the net.)

But there is a way that should be easier, use the tissue test. Cover your coin and another coin that you know is .900 silver, side by side, with a tissue. If the coins appear to be the same color when viewed through the tissue then your coin is .900 silver. If your coin appears to be darker, then it is .500 silver.

Sounds peculiar, but I will give it a try tomorrow! :ninja: I am assuming that the added metal (copper?) of a 0.500 coin makes it darker in color?

• 1 month later...

i dont know about cleaning proofs but I'm interested in the specific gravity method of measuring a coin's mass also. How exactly do you get an accurate measurement in water?

also, just for clarification...the ASE is .999 silver which would make it more dense than the 0.900 silver dollars and the silver clad .400

I've come to the conclusion that coins should be ampouled under Ar. It would help preserve them for a few thousand more years for future generations to appreciate.

Hey the slabbing companies could actually do that as part of their service. Especially for coins like proofs where the blast whiteness is the important feature.

Can't tell from that pic. The giveaway is damaged or flat luster. When you see a dipped coin next to an undamaged one a few times the difference soon becomes easy to discern.

You really have to see the coin in hand to determine if it's been dipped. It appears to have some luster but that may just be the pic. Just from the photo, there appears to be a gouge/pit at 2o'clock on the OBV. If it were originally caused by PVC damage, then it's almost a sure thing that it was dipped. There's little detail elsewhere in the pic to give away anything. I have seen coins with the dark tarnish spotting that you see above the 'W' in we. If it were dipped , you have to hold it at an angle to see the residue of the spot.

just some tricks of the trade.

I don't see any signs of cleaning. Heck is that a DDO. The 2 looks to be very doubled.

Sadly.....it is not a DDO. Probably glare from the light caused that.

That Franklin had an overnight stay at the Acetone Inn to remove some dirt and grime on it. A Q-Tip finished the job. In hand there are some streak marks (not from Q-Tip) but probably from an earlier cleaning.

I have always said....don't do ANYTHING to your coins unless there is PVC present that can be removed...the ONLY thing I will ever put on a coin is blue ribbion to remove active PVC.... I can tell when a coin has been run through the dip...the original luster fades and becomes a little cloudy...

I have always said....don't do ANYTHING to your coins unless there is PVC present that can be removed...

Eh, I bought it for $3 out of a junk bin. It was worth it in the learning experience. Gives you a first hand experience on what to look for when suspecting a cleaning.

Archived