CoinPeople.com

Lamination on a 1920 c

Just confirming what I have read in the errors section. I have a 1920 wheat penny with what appears to be a lamination error. The reverse side has a "gouge" going across the entire back. It has a full rim, no bend in the coin and no appearent bulges on the obverse. You can read the entire back even in the section gouged out.

Just getting back into coins after a long sabbatical. I made a quick scan of some of the coins I have. And this one turned up. Now all I have to do is look thru xxx more for errors. When I first bought most of my coins errors did not seem as popular.

Did not know I had a "tailbar" 1890 cc either. That was a pleasent surprise.

The lamination error is just that. Looks to me that the coin was struck and a trapped airbubble or just a poor quality planchet caused that area to sheer off on it's own over time. I would not slab this coin. The only time I would even consider slabbing a lamination is if it were a clam shell a coin that is splitting and not quite split all the way (ie the appearance of a clam shell), or if an entire side of the coin had laminated off.

Now as for the 1890-CC Tail Bar, I would consider slabbing that one. I am at work right now, but if I am not mistaken, that variety (VAM in this instance) if either very popular among Morgan VAM collectors and or it may be one of the Top 100 Morgan VAM varieties. I'll know more when I get home this evening (U.S. Central Time Zone).

In anycase, congrats on the finds, especially from your own collection!

1890-CC is a top 100 VAM! I can't find my pricing info, but that is a sweet score reguardless!!!

It was a surprise. I saw another about the same shape , Just one minor (Major) problem. The seller had turned an cut off four of the edges on the coin in the photo. But you could still see one blob of filed off solder from it being mounted. Of course he knew nothing about grading but...

Now the really bad part. After the penny error and this vam. I'm going to drop by fry's to pick up something with a litle more power magnafacation. I will not be seen or heard from for awhile. :ninja:

For those error script folks. a while back found a 1960 dollar with the serial number into the America at a slight slant. The seal overlapping washington. Also the whole note being miss cut and part of the bottom missing. (Whole dollar size just big gap at top.)

Archived