CoinPeople.com

Italian coin, 20 centesimi, 1908 – 1935

everycountrycoins

Hello,

Someone has asked me about the history behind the flying woman depicted on the reverse of the Italian coin, 20 centesimi, 1908 – 1935.

I have already read that the figure that is "flying" is Liberty. However, I do not know why the artist depicted her in a flying position. Do any of you know more about this design than I do?

Thanks,

Bruce "the Information" Broker

Madison, WI

I have already read that the figure that is "flying" is Liberty.  However, I do not know why the artist depicted her in a flying position.

Why not? :ninja: If you look at the coins from those days, you also have (on other denominations) the seated and the standing variety. This "floating" type is called "Libertà librata".

Christian

The female figure on the obverse is an allogorical figure depicing "Italy" hence the inscription "ITALIA." She is holding a spear of grain symbolizing the fruits of her labor.

The allegorical figure on the reverse, though we like to say she's nude, is actually wearing flowing drapery. Due to the hard nickel composition, the drapery on her front is hardly ever visible, thus giving the appearance that she is nude. (Sorry guys)

This issue is very hard to find fully struck. The weak strikes are also the reason her boobs appear flattened on most examples we see today. The figure, of course, is Liberty as further evidenced by the torch in her left hand. The reason she is flying is, IMO, simply because flight at the turn of the century was relatively new and could easily be adapted to symbolize freedom. Also it works from an artistic point of view. I don't think the meaning goes much deeper than that.

Below her is the crown and arms of the King of Italy. An interesting combination to say the least - monarchy + liberty on the same coin.

Benito must have had no problem with the "liberty" design as these coins were made well into his reign.

No, they were last issued for circulation in 1922. They were issued in very trivial ie 500 pcs, 50 pcs each year for sets until 1935. So Mussolini had a problem with them?

I apologize for the Mussolini comment.

His people seemed to go more into "Imperial Rome" designs.

I have one of these 20-cent coins and I posted a picture of it on another thread.

Mine is not in as good condition as the one pictured above.

I also think the design would look good on a silver-dollar or crown size coin,

possibly on an Olympic commemorative.

The Italians and French had some beautiful designs on their coins.

I like the French 5 and 10 centime Dupuis coins from the early 1900's.

With the rise of Fascism later on in the 1920's and early 1930's Italian coinage did change, and even took on a militaristic flavour to it. These later coins had portraits of Vittorio Emmanuel on them, some in military helmets etc, and eagles etc, yes indeed they were trying to reclaim ancient Rome.

Should have stuck with a good thing and kept the see through gown ladies on their coins, they and the world would have been a lot better off.

Archived