CoinPeople.com

where do I pick up my 'geek of the week' award?

Doogy

I posted a couple weeks ago asking the forum who they thought wrote the definitive resource guide for world gold coins. I got some answers from many nice folks, and it seems that the Krause and Friedberg books are the ones to have. In my search to track these down, I stumbled upon a 1958 1st Edition of the Friedberg book in good shape. "hmmmm....." I thought; "first edition and written by Friedberg, it must be a cool thing for any world gold collector!"

Okay, now where do i pick up my "geek of the week" award? :lol:

Doug

a3_1_b.jpg

BTW,

I picked this up last night on the 'bay, on a whim. This will make my third Austrlian Sovereign in the past couple of weeks; that does mean a collection of Aussie Sovs is starting? :ninja:

4d_1.jpg

Congratulations on your "Geek of the Week Award" commonly abbreviated GeekotWeekAwar. It's hard being a geek. But in the big picture of life we love it.

Very nice book and some nice coins in your new collection. When my ebay auctions are over, I'll post my items that make me contendor for the famous GeekotWeekAwar.

:ninja:

Congratulations on your "Geek of the Week Award" commonly abbreviated GeekotWeekAwar. It's hard being a geek. But in the big picture of life we love it.

Very nice book and some nice coins in your new collection.  When my ebay auctions are over, I'll post my items that make me contendor for the famous GeekotWeekAwar.

:ninja:

thanks Art!

Congradulations on your new coin and book Doug :lol:

Aussie sovernign is fortunately affordable but once you start to go below 1870s, things will get quite difficult and fairly expensive, specially if you are looking for an Adelaide Pound :ninja:

But hopefully you have not hidden the type set bug yet. :cry:

thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, i managed to find a website from Australia, devoted to the Aussie gold Sovs. I read about the Adelaide Pound gold coin, and the article says that only 20 Type I's are in existence! man, that must be one expensive coin to try to collect. Personally, i'll stick to the common Sovs, as they seem to be a great value.

Doug

Congrats on both !! Wouldn't mind having a copy of that book myself :ninja:

Keep in mind though, the numbering system used in that edition is different than that used in later editions. So I'd still suggest you obtain the latest 7th edition for identification purposes.

Oooh!  now you have me intrigued; what is an Ansell sovereign?  thanks

Doug

It's a type of British 1859 sovereign. Most sovereigns on the period were produced out of 22kt gold with the remainder being copper. Most of this gold came from remelted old coins. By the 1870s of course Britain was issuing British sovereigns in Australia as it made sense to mine the gold there and strike them in purpose built mints not too far away. Rather than shipping all the gold in bulk to London.

However, what is less known is that in 1859 some Australian gold was sent to London for coining into sovereigns. This gold however was of a different composition, it was still 22kt gold but rather than the remained being made up entirely of copper, there was also so lead, antimony and arsenic thrown in to make the alloy harder (as they do with steel). Ultimately the experiment conducted by Mr Ansell at the mint must have proved unsuccessful. But a small batch were struck and released. They are exactly the same as the normal 1859 sovereigns, except for a raised line being present on the head band at the back of the Queen's head. These coins are worth considerably more than you're average 1859 sovereign (they're about twice or three times the price). I can't say i've ever seen one, but it's one to watch out for as not every dealer checks.

It's a type of British 1859 sovereign. Most sovereigns on the period were produced out of 22kt gold with the remainder being copper. Most of this gold came from remelted old coins. By the 1870s of course Britain was issuing British sovereigns in Australia as it made sense to mine the gold there and strike them in purpose built mints not too far away. Rather than shipping all the gold in bulk to London.

However, what is less known is that in 1859 some Australian gold was sent to London for coining into sovereigns. This gold however was of a different composition, it was still 22kt gold but rather than the remained being made up entirely of copper, there was also so lead, antimony and arsenic thrown in to make the alloy harder (as they do with steel). Ultimately the experiment conducted by Mr Ansell at the mint must have proved unsuccessful. But a small batch were struck and released. They are exactly the same as the normal 1859 sovereigns, except for a raised line being present on the head band at the back of the Queen's head. These coins are worth considerably more than you're average 1859 sovereign (they're about twice or three times the price). I can't say i've ever seen one, but it's one to watch out for as not every dealer checks.

very cool, thanks for the timely and informative post! I love the history involved with gold coins, and coins in general!

Doug

Congrats on both !! Wouldn't mind having a copy of that book myself  :ninja:

Keep in mind though, the numbering system used in that edition is different than that used in later editions. So I'd still suggest you obtain the latest 7th edition for identification purposes.

thanks Doug! Yeah, i got this edition kinda' of a geeky lark, but i'll buy the newest one too to keep things recent

Doug

Archived