CoinPeople.com

general coin grading question

Doogy

I'm wondering how much of a difference coin rim "nicks" make in the eyes of 3rd party graders. I understand this is quite common on coins, but i'm curious as to how they view them.

For example, I'll withhold judgement as to what grade this world gold coin should receive, but it clearly has a small nick between the 7 and 8 o'clock position

http://vintagecoinco.com/blgummtb.jpg

(picture borrowed off the 'net for demonstration purposes)

When talking more common coins like this one, are nicks viewed differently than say a rare coin of low mintage?

thanks for any/all comments!

Doug

Some companies will bodybag the coins and not put them in slabs.

ANACS (to the best of my knowledge) very rarely does that. They'll give the details grade, problems, and net grade.

You came to numismatics from another collectible, fountain pens, as I recall. You have a maturity born of experience not evidenced by other newbies.

Rimnicks are irrelevant, by the way, but I'd be interested in reading the results.

I have foutain pens myself, nothign much, but as a writer, I love implements. Once, about 1966, I made my brother and mother wait in the car while I spend FORTY FIVE MINUTES shopping for a quill. I have two such in my pen cup now.

Majoring in Law Enforcement now (third career), I am taking a class in Constitutional Law. I went to the National Archives website and added my name to the Declaration of Independence using the "Patriot" pen nib, and printed it out for my instructor.

Coins are fine, but coins are just one thing among many -- hey! e pluribus unum: ONE OUT OF MANY.

Rim nicks,bruises etc. make a difference.Try to shop around.You can have 2 NGC MS63 whatever and one will have superior eye appeal.Grab that coin.Buy the coin not the holder.

The coin that is my avatar is an ANACS VF20 1875-CC Trade dollar.Its totally original, rare for Trade dollars.However it has a bruise on the reverse.A gentle bump.I believe it was taken under consideration by the grader.These coins are very hard to get in middle grades.VG go for $150 in the coin dealer newsletter.I bid $180 on Ebay and got it for $162.50.On some coins you don't have to settle on some you do. Eye appeal is everything.

Coins are fine, but coins are just one thing among many -- hey! e pluribus unum: ONE OUT OF MANY.

Michael! You disappoint me with your quoting of Al Gore!

Our national motto is translated as "Out of many, One" which is a completely different meaning than "One out of many." Our motto, E Pluribus Unum was designed to unite the former colonies into one great nation, whereas switching the position of that one little word "one" changes the meaning to imply that we are just one nation out of many, nothing special, just like any other.

Al Gore had a major flap with his mistranslation back in 1994 when he was making a speech to the Institute on World Affairs promoting a multicultural model for American identity. The error was unfortunate, as the accurate translation of the motto does just as much to promote a multicultural American identity without denigrating the nation.

As for the rim nick, different TPGs may treat them differently, and even the same TPG might treat them differently on different days! For the most part I've found that TPGs are a little more forgiving on rim nicks with gold coins than with base metal coins due to the softness of the metal and the ease with which these seem to occur on gold. That said, if the nick in the coin is as bad as the photo portrays, it may not be graded by NGC or PCGS, and may be net graded by ANACS. Also, there is a distinct difference with the rarity of the coin. For a common date coin, say a 1924 US double eagle, such a nick may prevent grading by the major TPGs since there are thousands of undamaged specimens. For a 1927-D, where there are perhaps a dozen extant, I doubt a rim nick would prevent encapsulation, however it might result in a point or two downgrade (i.e. stealth net grading). I hope this helps!

You came to numismatics from another collectible, fountain pens, as I recall.  You have a maturity born of experience not evidenced by other newbies.

Rimnicks are irrelevant, by the way, but I'd be interested in reading the results.

I have foutain pens myself, nothign much, but as a writer, I love implements.  Once, about 1966, I made my brother and mother wait in the car while I spend FORTY FIVE MINUTES shopping for a quill.  I have two such in my pen cup now.

Majoring in Law Enforcement now (third career), I am taking a class in Constitutional Law.  I went to the National Archives website and added my name to the Declaration of Independence using the "Patriot" pen nib, and printed it out for my instructor.

Michael,

Thanks for your response! Yes, I did have a hobby in fountain pens, and will probably keep a few; most likely the modern Pelikans. I'm fond of the durability, high quality and overall appearance of these pens. The smooth nibs and piston fillers are hallmarks of a great FP, IMO.

The best of luck with your career in Law Enforcement. I have a BS in Justice Studies, and use it a bit in my work as an electronic security consultant. One thing about a career in the admin. of justice field, we'll always have a big need for it in the US!

thanks again, Michael; I look forward to reading more of your insightful posts

Regards,

Doug

As for the rim nick, different TPGs may treat them differently, and even the same TPG might treat them differently on different days!  For the most part I've found that TPGs are a little more forgiving on rim nicks with gold coins than with base metal coins due to the softness of the metal and the ease with which these seem to occur on gold.  That said, if the nick in the coin is as bad as the photo portrays, it may not be graded by NGC or PCGS, and may be net graded by ANACS.  Also, there is a distinct difference with the rarity of the coin.  For a common date coin, say a 1924 US double eagle, such a nick may prevent grading by the major TPGs since there are thousands of undamaged specimens.  For a 1927-D, where there are perhaps a dozen extant, I doubt a rim nick would prevent encapsulation, however it might result in a point or two downgrade (i.e. stealth net grading).  I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! I like to hear and can understand why a TPG may be more forgiving with gold, it is quite soft indeed! I'll bet your absolutely right in giving small "mulligans" to rare coins, rather than the higher mintage ones. I appreciate your time!

Doug

The coin that is my avatar is an ANACS VF20 1875-CC Trade dollar.Its totally original, rare for Trade dollars.However it has a bruise on the reverse.A gentle bump.I believe it was taken under consideration by the grader.These coins are very hard to get in middle grades.VG go for $150 in the coin dealer newsletter.I bid $180 on Ebay and got it for $162.50.On some coins you don't have to settle on some you do. Eye appeal is everything.

thanks for the info, Stu! I agree, it is certainly eye appeal that makes a huge difference in coins; after all, we find them to be appealing visually, or we wouldn't bother collecting! thanks again!

Doug

Michael,

Thanks for your response!  Yes, I did have a hobby in fountain pens, and will probably keep a few; most likely the modern Pelikans.  I'm fond of the durability, high quality and overall appearance of these pens.  The smooth nibs and piston fillers are hallmarks of a great FP, IMO.

The best of luck with your career in Law Enforcement.  I have a BS in Justice Studies, and use it a bit in my work as an electronic security consultant.  One thing about a career in the admin. of justice field, we'll always have a big need for it in the US! 

thanks again, Michael; I look forward to reading more of your insightful posts

Regards,

Doug

I have a collection of about 30 fountain pens. No antique ones, all modern, all working, all used. :ninja:

Not an answer to what you are asking, but just a personal example: For my own personal "grading" when I am looking to acquire a coin, rim nicks /dings do not reduce the grade for me as much as surface nicks/dings, even if the rim nick is larger than the surface nick. (Of course there is a limit to it. :ninja: )

• 2 weeks later...
< Our national motto is translated as "Out of many, One" which is a completely different meaning than "One out of many." >

I'm no expert on Latin,but from my understanding the phrase can actually be translated to mean either one of those translations.

But the intent must surely be the former.

Archived