CoinPeople.com

Anyone else happy about silver prices?

Cojaro

Image.jpg

Looks like a good time to get off the pony, then back in when the wave ebbs?  buy low, sell high ?

Nice Graph. Once everyone starts talking about how good an investment something is, it's time to sell, sell, sell.

Nice Graph.  Once everyone starts talking about how good an investment something is, it's time to sell, sell, sell.

Remember, this board and the numismatic community in general is nano-sized when considering the overall market. Many of us have been pushing metals since 1970! If you look at CNBC or the Wall Street Journal, silver is barely noticed, so it's not as though everyone is talking about how great an investment silver is. Once you see silver mentioned on your local news, then it's about over.

Remember, this board and the numismatic community in general is nano-sized when considering the overall market.  Many of us have been pushing metals since 1970!  If you look at CNBC or the Wall Street Journal, silver is barely noticed, so it's not as though everyone is talking about how great an investment silver is.  Once you see silver mentioned on your local news, then it's about over.

Does gold count?

Gold Investing

This was an interesting quote:

""The average person doesn't have the money to buy gold," he said.

He's seen nobody lay out $10,000 or $20,000 to buy gold the way some did in the early 1980s, an era of frenzied speculation in all manner of tangible assets, from metals to art to farmland."

When you see the "frienzied speculation" again, time to sell. Right now, even gold is just a blip on the radar, let alone silver. Note also that none of those analysts said to buy gold, in fact they were predicting average prices $100/oz. lower than current spot! If you see all those analysts projecting big upswings in average prices each year, watch out. But with all of them predicting lower prices, I feel pretty confident the price will head higher.

On last note, I find it very interesting to note the long term inconsistencies of analysts. I recall vividly back in the 1990s that gold was dead money due to high interest rates, and that with rates high, it was too much of a sacrifice in yield to invest in non-yielding assets like gold. Today, it's just the opposite, higher interest rates are good for gold, since higher inflation and a weaker dollar are good for gold, but also bring higher rates. Now we have rising rates, "low" inflation and a strengthening dollar but still higher gold. Makes me think they really don't know what they are talking about!

Makes me think they really don't know what they are talking about!

I always feel that way about economists. Outside of the basics they just make the facts fit their theories post facto. Much like the prophets of old.

I always feel that way about economists.  Outside of the basics they just make the facts fit their theories post facto.  Much like the prophets of old.

Obviously, you've never read anything by Ludwig von Mises or any of the other economists of the Austrian school. Your statement is true of Keynesians but not of true economists. Check out Austrian economics here:

http://www.mises.org/

Ludwig von Mises Institute Home

Obviously, you've never read anything by Ludwig von Mises or any of the other economists of the Austrian school.  Your statement is true of Keynesians but not of true economists.  Check out Austrian economics here:

http://www.mises.org/

Ludwig von Mises Institute Home

You are right. I go by what I hear whenevr economists get dragged out on radio and television. I assume they are "popular" and of the prevailing view. But, they don't strike me as particularly accurate.

Archived