CoinPeople.com

Star notes?

Coinjoe2006

About a week ago I got a brand new $100 star note from the ATM, but spent it :ninja: Kind of been thinking about it since, but someday I'll find another.

On the bright side I did receive a Coinpeople Coinbuck star note today. It's pretty awesome ;)

one day at the bank, I was with my mom. She cashed my dads pay check, and we got 2 consecutive $100 bills, but we couldnt keep them lol. My mom managed to get a $50, but she gave it to my grandma for her to keep. I have countless start notes tho! I love them, they are addicting lol.

Ok, so my last post intrigued me enough to want to count them!

I have 45 $1 Star notes. They include

4 1957 $1 * (57, 57 Series A, and 57 Series :ninja:

1 1977 $1 *

1 1988 $1 *

4 1995 $1 *

22 1999 $1 *

7 2001 $1 *

and 5 2003 $1 *

1 1976 $2 *

5 $2 *:

1 1995 $5 *

5 1999 $5 *

2 $10 *:

2 1999 $10 *

14 $20 *:

1 1969 $20 *

5 1996 $20 *

5 1999 $20 *

and 3 2004 $20 *

If during the production a flaw is discovered after the serial number has been printed on a US dollar bill, that note will be removed, and then replaced by such a note. These "replacement" notes have a star at the end of the serial number, where you would usually find a character. See the examples shown above. And no, I don't have any. :ninja:

Christian

If during the production a flaw is discovered after the serial number has been printed on a US dollar bill, that note will be removed, and then replaced by such a note. These "replacement" notes have a star at the end of the serial number, where you would usually find a character. See the examples shown above. And no, I don't have any. :ninja:

Christian

I would be glad to send you some extras if you were to send me some Euros or something!

Thanks for the nice offer! But while I find many of the discussions in the Banknote Forum interesting and/or educational, I do not actually collect notes. I just have about $40 in "paper" here, left over from my last trip. Will spend them in the country of origin in March ... :ninja:

Christian

About a week ago I got a brand new $100 star note from the ATM, but spent it :ninja:  Kind of been thinking about it since, but someday I'll find another.

On the bright side I did receive a Coinpeople Coinbuck star note today. It's pretty awesome ;)

I have never been to an ATM that gives out $100 bills.

I was just wondering how many people out there actually collect Star notes??

I do not go out of my way to get them, but I saved them if I received them in change:

896148A.jpg

895654A.jpg

I believe I have a couple more, but I have not scanned those.

Christian

Thank you Christian ;)

Now, that new note, with the star, does it have the same serial number as the one that was taken out of circulation, or does it get a new serial number?

No, Brett, the stars do not have the same serial number as the note it replaces. The stars have a separate numbering system. It "may" have the same prefix letter [if it is a Federal Reserve Note] as the Fed Res Bank of the replaced note; however, that ain't always so. It is possible to find a star in a fresh pack of notes with an entirely different Fed Res bank letter & name as the rest of the notes in the pack.

On other types of currency [silver certs, etc.], the prefix letter is replaced with a star.

On Type I small sized National Currency, if a replacement was necessary, they actually did reprint the note with the 'same' serial number. Here's the kicker, the serial numbers were put on BY HAND!! Usually the only way these can be detected is by a slght variance in the placement of the number. Such would look sort of 'wobbly' by being slightly skewed from its proper place. My reference for this is Huntoon's book on small sized Nationals (1929 to 1935).

HTH...

Hello, Burks!

Sisu's $20 is a Series of 1928, the very first of the Small sized Fed Res notes. Quite a catch, I'd say...

• 1 month later...

I trade star notes when I have extras... I dont have any extra right now.

And to comment on Whohahs explination of a star note earlier it would seem he is correct. I was also under the impression (as Brett) that Star notes were released with the same serial as the note it replaced, as it turns out, they do not. This opens the possibility of having a set of notes with the same serial, one star, one not.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question703.htm

-Bobby

Archived