CoinPeople.com

"Variety coins"

daggit

Does anyone else have a disgusting addiction to collecting "variety coins" :ninja: The things are basically worthless and I just keep stacking them in a drawer! They have bubbles ( some so bad it looks like measles ), cuds... such as filled crowns, filled letters, filled numbers, lamination errors, struck thru grease, struck thru wire, some I don't know what etc. ect. etc. I have over 90 of them, all Canadian and no will power to get rid of them. They just keep coming and I keep, keeping them. ;)

Does anyone else have a disgusting addiction to collecting "variety coins" :ninja: The things are basically worthless and I just keep stacking them in a drawer! They have bubbles ( some so bad it looks like measles ), cuds... such as filled crowns, filled letters, filled numbers, lamination errors, struck thru grease, struck thru wire, some I don't know what etc. ect. etc. I have over 90 of them, all Canadian and no will power to get rid of them. They just keep coming and I keep, keeping them. ;)

I am not addicted as such, but I usually set them aside. I just find them interesting as they are a bit different than the mass of successfully struck coins that are released.

btw: Perhaps a more appropriate term for the types you mentioned is error coins. Varieties are another animal. ;)

I am not addicted as such, but I usually set them aside. I just find them interesting as they are a bit different than the mass of successfully struck coins that are released.

btw: Perhaps a more appropriate term for the types you mentioned is error coins. Varieties are another animal. ;)

What is the difference? I've read some posts here and on other sites that corrects people when they list a coin as an error and someone says it is a variety. When does the coin graduate from variety (which usually seems worthless) to error ( which usually is worth something) :ninja: For example why is a 1955 double die worth money and referred to as an error and a coin with a cud filled zero in a date is typically worth nothing?" Error coins 101" has now begun! ;)

A variety is something that happened to the die before the coins were struck. That die itself is a variety. Anything after that (either damaged die, defective coin, etc.) is an error.

I hope I got that right.

Variety - A repeatable defect during the coin minting process, e.g. RPM, DDO/DDR, misaligned dies. Usually affecting the DIES rather than the planchets and is a repeatable event.

Error - A defect that is ephemeral during the minting process, e.g. struck through errors, clipped, capped, etc, planchets. Usually a defect in the planchet or in the process itself rather than on the die and is many times a one time only or a few times only event.

Damage - Defects that affect the coin after it leaves the die press, ejection marks, blow torch, wear, hobo nickles.

Those might not be the 'textbook' definitions, but that is how I keep alot of the information straight in my mind. The textbook definitions are found in Alan Herbert's Official Price Guide to Mint Errors

Bigandy is right on the money. Now granted there are still some debates as to which is the proper usage.

But for hardlined people. it's very simple. A Variety is something that has caused a change in the die. ie. the 1955 DDO#1 Lincoln cent is a variety. EACH and every coin struck from that die will exibit that variety. The reason for that variety is because the die was "hubbed" twice and not alligned very well. LOL Another variety type is like the 1960 small and large date lincolns. You can physically see a change in the dies from one to the next. An error is something that happens in the striking process. because uaually there wont be an exact duplicate of that error, like you can have exact duplicates of a variety. Granted with the numbers of coins the mint puts out, you can get two off center lincoln cents in the same direction to the same degree, but, that is an odds game there. But every coin struck from a die that has been changed will always show that VERY same variety.

Where some might disagree with me, but it is something that is capable of documenting and tracking, but I personally view die cracks and cuds as varieties and not errors. I list those with the word "ERROR" in the title on ebay, but I do that to get attention to the auction. A die crack (and cud) is a change in the die, and granted they will progress to a bigger (longer) die crack (CUD), but each coin will show it from that set of dies.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone here. But, the way that I have studied, bubbles, off centers, clips are all errors. Where as RPMs, Doubled dies, CUDs, over polished dies (for you 3 legger enthusiasts, lol) are all varieties.

Now let the confusion begin. LOL

But yes, I do collect varieties. And I pick up errors when priced cheap enough. This is just one of the many varieties I picked up at a local coin shop this past Saturday. And this lovely came out of a dealers Foreign coin junk box.

xx-9999.jpg

This is an image from my website. Now please do not think I am out to take people from here. Forums are something I have no idea to setup, nor do I wish to. But, I do have a love for viety coins and am fullfilling one of my life long dreams since the birth of the net. The link is below in my signature. Some links are dead and some go to a blank page. The only section up and running well is the foreign coin section right now. Check it out if ya feel up to it. If this is inappropriate, let me know, and I'll edit my post.

I so love your photograpy.  :ninja:

Thank you. It took many years to perfect it. Unfortuneatly though, my camera is starting to die on me....time to buy another one. ;) Oh well. guess I can't complain too terribly much though. I have rolled the counter a couple of several times now. LOL (counter rolls over at 10,000).

But thank you Tiff. Your compliments warm my heart.

Archived