CoinPeople.com

Coin Pictures

Guest Stujoe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your pics are fine!  I agree, proofs are very tough.  The mirrors make it very difficult to get anything close to even lighting over the whole coin. If your side lighting is at the wrong angle, you will catch every single nasty surface deformation or bit of tarnish or whatever.  I end up taking a lot of different shots, which of course is a great thing about digital cameras. Here are a couple that are about as good as I can do right now.

ep1974s8007cs.jpg

proofobv25a1ni.jpg

1979proof9uw.jpg

WOW! Super photos.....great coins too. :ninja:

By far, the hardest coins to photograph are proof coins ( imo ).  Do you take many pictures of them or not to many.  Buy the way, real nice pictures.  I have taken a number of pictures of proof coins, mainly eagles, and I dont think I do a half bad job.  Here is a picture and you guys tell me what you think.  By the way I have a Fuji 7000s camera that I take my pictures with.  :ninja:

Nice proof pics! I don't take many proof pics as I don't own many. But, for the ones I have, I have never figured out how to get that black background on the coin. It is a real cool effect.

I've done some experiments on that, using a piece of black (thick) paper with a small hole in it, as large as the lense aperture of my camera. With some double sticking take I had it attached to the rim aroudn the lense. That way, the reflection in the mirrors of the coun would only reflect the lense (= black) or the paper (= black). Promising results, but still in experimental stage.

btw, Stujoe, your camera stand looks awfully lot like mine...

A camera stand is NO fun! The real challenge in coin photography comes after a six-pack when your trying to hold the camera-zoom steady! -- Just kidding! Those are some great pics!

A camera stand is NO fun!  The real challenge in coin photography comes after a six-pack when your trying to hold the camera-zoom steady! -- Just kidding! 

Ha! I have enough problems trying to freehand after a couple of cups of coffee. :ninja:

Picked this one up today on a pure "hey that looks good" basis . It's really a pretty coin. Those specks on the reverse field are on the surface - that's what I was talking about earlier - I am too lazy to try and minimize them by light positioning (photshopping them out is not acceptable :ninja:.

The coin actually has 3 distinct surface textures on the obverse (doesn't come through real well on the photo).

ok, enough show-and-tell for a while

panda2005small7su.jpg

WOW! Super photos.....great coins too.  :ninja:

Thanks Art. You know, all of your half cents are starting to get me interested. I went coin shopping today and really wanted to get a draped bust. Looked at about 6 close up, but the surfaces were just too darn bumpy - man those things are as tough as large cents. *drat* really wanted this 1808 in F...till I took the loupe out...

Archived