CoinPeople.com

Did anyone attend the New York Auction?

alexbq2

176(5) em 5 kop overstrike. 178(9)MM 5 kop, 1764 siberian "original", 178(7) em 5 kop with wrong eagle. These I am sure about. Also, confirmed by people who know much better than me.

Why were they not withdrawn? :shock:

Sigi

-

I mean the auctioneer must withdraw an item once he learns that it is fake.

I wonder why this did not happen at the NY sale where experienced people viewed the coins.

Gorny & Mosch in his last auction withdrew the copper 5kop1781СПМ, WAG withdrew a 5kop1767CM a while ago - both because of my intervention.

False coins become genuine once slabbed. The same applies to a false coin auctioned. The auction serves as pedigree and the "coin" is beyond doubt. Multiples of the fake become genuine at the same time because they match the auctioned one. :shock:

Sadly enough the NY sale encouraged the counterfeiter. The contrary should have happened.

Sigi

-

I do not understand much Russian but I think some suspect coins of the NY sale were already discussed in a Russian forum more than a month ago? :read: Didn't the auctioneer know about it?

http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=119217&hl=

-

I haven't seen these coins in person, as I understand they are all genuine common coins with altered dates. I'm not sure why Mr. Markov did not detect the tempering while examining the coins, I have read some complaints about his character from some people on that forum, stating that he would not accept returns after the auction item was determined to be less than genuine, and that he was rather rude over the phone.

I do not know him personally and cannot comment on his character or behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

A long time ago I also wanted efimok on a taler with early date.

At the time I managed to get one with 1558 (Spassky 424). After that I forgot about my endeavor.

But I do remember statistics presented by Spassky - the group of talers with early dates used for known efimoks is quite small.

1655_2619_1.jpg

1655_2619_2.jpg