CoinPeople.com

Sincona 12 (The SINCONA Collection - Part 2)

IgorS

Lot 255 - 2 Kopecks 1767, Red Mint, MM. 20.07 g. Bitkin 535 (R2): 2 400 CHF

Lot 398 - Polushka 1799, Ekaterinburg Mint. 3.16 g. Excessively rare and the most legendary provenance from the famous collection of count I.I.Tolstoy!! Bitkin 139 (R3): 32 000 CHF

Lot 498 - 2 Kopecks 1823, Ekaterinburg Mint, . 9.67 g. Excessively rare provenance. Bitkin 366 (R2): 12 000 CHF

Lot 766 - Denezhka 1855, Warsaw Mint. 2.55 g. Bitkin 485 (R1): 22 000 CHF

Looks like copper did pretty good!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Alex! Hope I am correct and that was my last bid... It looks like a reasonable coin.

Gxseries, can you imaging how much they will sell your coins for if you let them do it and they accept them to put them for the auction? ;) They have made a name for selling rare coins. I don't believe many collectors will be buying from them, it has become a feeding ground for the rich investors that have little idea about numismatics... Nonetheless, some coins the are unique and interesting to real collectors, and command the high prices...

Can not wait until we get to the multiple lots... I put some small bids on 6 lots.

Lot 105 - Rouble 1726, Red Mint. 27.45 g. Bitkin 28: 1800 CHF

Lot 253 - 15 Kopecks 1767, Red Mint. 3,82 g. Bitkin 162: 275 CHF

Lot 290 - 20 Kopecks 1787, St. Petersburg Mint. 4.70 g. Bitkin 404: 525 CHF

Lot 1070 - Kopeck 1712, Kadashevsky Mint (2,5 roubles acc. to Petrov). Kopeck 1712, Naberezhny Mint, . (2) Kopeck 1713, Naberezhny Mint, . Various conditions. (4): 300 CHF

Lot 1076 - Kopeck 1728, Kadashevsky Mint. 5 Kopecks 1729, Kadashevsky Mint. (2). Various conditions. (3): 325 CHF

Lot 1087 - 2 Kopecks 1773, Ekaterinburg Mint. (2) 20 Kopecks 1784, St. Petersburg Mint. Polushka 1786, Ekaterinburg Mint, EM. Kopeck 1788, Red Mint. Various conditions. (5): 375 CHF

Lot 1089 - Grivennik 1795, St. Petersburg Mint. Kopeck 1795, Ekaterinburg Mint. Denga 1795, Ekaterinburg Mint. (2) Denga 1796, Ekaterinburg Mint (last digit re-engraved in die: 6 on 5). Denga 1774, Suzun Mint. Kopeck 1779, Suzun Mint. Fine-very fine. (7): 350 CHF

Lot 1130 - Kopeck 1865, Ekaterinburg Mint. 5 Kopecks 1866, Ekaterinburg Mint. 10 Kopecks 1867, St. Petersburg Mint, HI. 20 Kopecks 1868, St. Petersburg Mint, HI. 15 Kopecks 1868, St. Petersburg Mint, HI. 5 Kopecks 1868, Ekaterinburg Mint. Various conditions. (6): 400 CHF

Lot 1634 - Pattern 3 Dengas 1771, Mint in Sadogura. 10.62 g. Bitkin 1262 (R3): 46 000 CHF

Lot 20 - Kopeck 1704, Naberezhny Mint, K. 8.28 g. Bitkin 1603 (R1): 7 000 CHF

Lot 705 - 2 Kopecks 1854, Ekaterinburg Mint. 9.76 g. Bitkin 600: 4 500 CHF

Lot 828 - 3 Kopecks 1867, Ekaterinburg Mint. 15.50 g. Bitkin 331: 9 000 CHF

Lot 838 - ¼ Kopeck 1869, St. Petersburg Mint. 0.84 g. Bitkin 556 (R1): 4 000 CHF

Did you bid? I think that one is the only one I got, but I am happy with that... Just for the memory of this auction, one souvenir is enough for me... :) I was actually hoping someone would outbid me on some of the lot... Some lots were "under-estimated" by me 10+ times fold... lol...

Congratulations on the 1100! Looks like it has some very interesting coins in it. :)

About Sincona. That's how I see it: It has a different level of investment caliber and power... MiM is a proper auction. It shoots "small", but every time and all the time. Sincona shoots only once, while they have collection, and it made it more fun... It's unique.

It's not the individual coins that attracted the attention and increased their will to pay, its the whole, museum-like collection that generated media frenzy and the interest. MiM was just another auction... Who goes there? But - will you go to Sincona, will you at least follow it on internet or on forum? Every one talks about it, they have this, that and that, and such and such is going to be there, and I can see the coin of my dream!... It is an important auction! And it was...

Human factor, marketing psychology at the best. The sad thing is that all these coins will never be in one place ever again, but I guess, these are the sentiments that they had to cast aside, in order to make big bucks. The high-paying investors may find it hard to return the money if they wish to sell later, in the next 10-20 years, until the inflation catches up, as one coin will never generate similar frenzy and they will be caught by surprise finding themselves selling at the auctions like MiM... :)

But there were some lots sold for a reasonable amounts, not as many as we wished, but some interesting and rare copper coins under or around $1000, that worth every penny of it, including your and my lots. So it was a fun... :)

What do you mean?

That's what it says for the lot I think I've won:

Lot 323

2 Kopecks 1796, Ekaterinburg Mint. 21.75 g. Bitkin 687 ®. GM 34.9. Rare. Very fine.
Sold CHF 90.00 (with reservation)

I wonder what they mean by that... My top price was 90. Hope it's mine...

Yah, it says its a rouble in ink ("rub. #2b" - on portrait side)! Cannot Sincona read!? lol ;)

Must be a double from Hermitage collection or something, only keepers of state collections ever vandalized coins in soviet Russia.

There were some other coins on auction with ink markings.

Same problem with this coin (old sale, not Sincona):

post-27191-0-64563500-1379627504_thumb.j

they don't clean them as these markings give coins credibility... or so they think...

Graffiti on coins is not uncommon, even I have something like that somewhere. The marks are mostly old and often done with a steel tipped ink pen. Seems like collectors and maybe stares would put notes or inventory numbers right on the coin.

Removing these marks may reveal a scratch from the pen, so better to leave them alone.

I attended first day only. I do not think all those high price items make any difference for us, middle layer collectors, or for coin market in general.

Still I was surprised about some prices. I was interested in 1808 EM denga. It had scratches all across the reverse. Still it fetched 17,000.

And I thought I had a chance due to its condition :(

In any case, I am glad I had a chance to handle those rarities (but had to wear gloves provided during veiwing).

I attended first day only. I do not think all those high price items make any difference for us, middle layer collectors, or for coin market in general.

Still I was surprised about some prices. I was interested in 1808 EM denga. It had scratches all across the reverse. Still it fetched 17,000.

And I thought I had a chance due to its condition :(

In any case, I am glad I had a chance to handle those rarities (but had to wear gloves provided during veiwing).

Very strange that we must wear gloves to handle scratched and otherwise damaged coins! :(