CoinPeople.com

Sincona 12 (The SINCONA Collection - Part 2)

IgorS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly, but I did not notice any in the room. But, I was there only for the first day. Auction was conducted in English. When there is interest in Russian coin from local buyers, auction normally switches to German (and English). I think the same thing occurred at Sincona, but I cannot recall for sure..

Interesting. So, it looks like a lot of these coins will find their way back to Russia, but will be lost for western numismatic world. Hopefully they will not end up at the State Historical Museum any time soon (oak cabinets and plastic inserts are not the best combination for coin keeping)... Thank you for the inside story.

• 1 month later...

I am still waiting on my coin: https://www.sincona.com/auction/Catherine%20II,%20the%20Great,%201729-1796_diverse.aspx?lot=true&rownum=1&backid=ib635210619316212357&lager=00020&los=323&ActiveID=1711&lang=en

I was send an e-mail confirming that the payment was received and informing me that they will send it immediately (it was very early in November). I contacted Sincona again, as I didn't even get the tracking number and there was still no coin in the mail. They replied that it wasn't even send yet! Hope I'll get it before the next year's Xmas rush (when mail gets lost)... I didn't know that the time stays still in Switzerland... ;)

May be it's just my luck, but if you are like me, didn't visit Sincona for the auction to pick up on the day, and haven't received your coins yet, it may be worth contacting them again.

There are few things about picking up coins at the auction that makes it questionable:

1. Will they give you coins that are not paid for yet?

2. Do you want to deal with customs on the way out of the country on the way home?

I usually do not pick up coins and wait for them to arrive by mail.