CoinPeople.com

Toned Coins...what do you think??

LostDutchman

I have a soft spot in my heart for toned coins, especally dollars. I just can't get enough of them. I know this topic is one for debate and has been for a while....with all the unnatural toning out there....but nothing beats an original bag toned rainbow dollar...let me know what you think!

I like a lot of toned coins. My tastes run a little to the conservative side - not a huge fan of hot pink and some of the neon looking color even though I find them kind of cool that they toned like that - but I do like nice colorful toning...pastels, golden toning, subtle rim toning, subdued rainbows. Stuff like that.

I don't have a lot of toned coins but I do own some pretty ones that I have come across from time to time.

I agree. Toned Morgan's just make me drool all over the place. One thing that boggles my mind is telling the difference between natural and unnatural toning. The rainbows are just beautiful on some coins I've seen. Currently I'm still looking for that "perfect" toned Morgan.

Someone on Collector's Universe is selling 8 different graded toned Morgan's. Some are quite nice.

One of my favorite's is Tiffibunny's '75 S Nickel. Looks very pretty in the pictures, even more so in real life I bet.

somehow they all look unnatural to me, I don't really care for them.

I'd rather have my coins in the colour they had when minted, coppers and copper-likes red , silver nicely white etc.

However, tastes differ.

you might wanna grab your bib and then check this thread out: http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=665

sometimes it's hard to tell artifical toning from the real deal.... Natural toned dollars will usually only be toned on one side. I do like a nice rim tone of a dollar as well....the hardest ones to get are coins with a green toning....it's hard to find and from what I have been told rare.

BTW that post....can't beat that.....not with a stick....you have to love that stuff

Normally I do not care for toning, however my one weak spot for colorfully toned coins are bust halves. In fact I generally only buy bust halves with nice color, especially blues and greens around the edge. Check this one out: 1827. I also have a nicely toned 1810 in VF35, but I don't have any photos. I also have a really nice 1830 that is on its way to NGC, here are some photos: 1830 Obverse and 1830 Reverse. That one has a little too much color in the center, but I like it anyway.

Normally I do not care for toning, however my one weak spot for colorfully toned coins are bust halves.  In fact I generally only buy bust halves with nice color, especially blues and greens around the edge.  Check this one out: 1827.  I also have a nicely toned 1810 in VF35, but I don't have any photos.  I also have a really nice 1830 that is on its way to NGC, here are some photos: 1830 Obverse and 1830 Reverse.  That one has a little too much color in the center, but I like it anyway.

Bust coins should ALL have color...If it is white then I pretty well guarantee that it has been cleaned and stripped.

Here are a couple I like.

1823 obverse 1823 reverse

1824 obverse 1824 reverse

By the way, wanna get rid of that '30?

Jim

Eggs, onions, and vinegar eh? I may have to try this tomorrow just for the heck of it.

Now I do have a qusetion. The site says wild neon colors and cracking are signs of AT.

http://www.kryptonitecomicscollectibles.com/64PR65Obv.jpg

What about that coin? As soon as I read those few statements this coin popped into my mind.

Edit: Forgot to thank 50cents for the site.

I don't think that in few years a coin in normal conditions of storage can became naturally so toned. I have 2 old Russian PVC coin albums and after more than 20 years I cannot observe major changes on silver coins. Maybe the black patina became darker. But no purple, neon or yellow colors.

I think that dime could be natural, since I observed several dimes tone just that way, cracking and all. Those dimes were low grade uncs that I stored with junk silver in paper rolls. They were stored in a safe deposit box for about 15 years and came out with some of the wildest colors, though as others have mentioned, they only toned on one side, with the other side remaining white. So it is certainly possible for coins to tone that way in a few years depending on storage. I am attaching a photo of a 1947-D Nickel that toned in my dansco album over less than 20 years (the photo doesn't do it justice as there is a lot of electric blue on the obverse of the 47-D). Those coins started off white, but were toned in the dansco album, which also seems to have that affect on coins, though I can't seem to find much of a pattern other than the more toned coins seem to be in the outer pages.

As for the 1830, thanks for the offer bustchaser, but I don't even have the coin right now since it's somewhere between here and Florida. When it comes back from NGC I may decide to sell it, but for now I think I have a place for it in my type set. That one was a nice find from a local dealer (actually he's from the Detroit area) but he comes down to the local shows in South Bend each month. It just shows that there are lots of nice material to be found in smaller local markets, it just takes more patience than at Long Beach!

Archived