CoinPeople.com

Impossible coin - 5kop1781СПМ - but NOT a NOVODEL

sigistenz

If it is the Novodels that were seen in 1850s collections and were listed in an 1833 table, this means they weren't cooked up in the late 1870s for some industrial fair or for a late-period grand duke. I have an image of another novodel (russian auction) from the exact same die as the Berlin coin. An apparently different-die Novodel coin (also out of russia) shows an under-8 but the job is botched and I also dont see the die cracks seen in the Berlin example. Will try to post

Done.

One of the experts on copper, said that there is something similar in the Smithsonian (not the same coin). In his opinion it (the Smithsonian coin) is an old antiquarian forgery.

http://coins.su/foru...showtopic=98032

http://www.staraya-m...um1/topic34903/

Hi Alex, thank you for your effort - as far as I can understand the outcome it is pretty disappointing. As it seems people there don't take the thread serious.

For them it is clear that the last digit is altered --> fake - full stop. Nobody cares about the novodel with its altered date, nobody shows and discusses pictures, nobody gets curious about -why 1781-. They don't have anybody like Steve, Josh, Alex, Hisa, Eugene. :shock:

Too bad - Sigi

-

Sigi, I think that in order to discuss the possibility of this coin, there should be: 1) much better photos of this coin; 2) photos of the first and second "1" in good resolution. Otherwise, it is like discussing a UFO photograph. Someone shows a cellphone photo, that is not even that good for a cell phone, of a unique coin, and there are 2 pages of discussion... No wonder people on russian forum do not take this seriously, -- their reaction is completely justified. After all, this coin should not exist (as you well know). Therefore, one must do a damn better job than that crappy photo to prove otherwise. Just my 2c.

P.S. Steve, I am 100% sure there is an error in Ilyin -- a 10 ruble coin would definitely show up at some point, with 40 -- 150 ruble coins popping up from time to time... Novodel with different edge.

I'm curious, how ubiquitous were Novodels in 1830's? I tried to find 4 kopeeks 1761 (only exists as a Novodel) in Chaudoir - didn't find it. Can anyone think of other coins that exist only as Novodels? I'd like to cross reference them.

my avatar -- 1782 km

Thisw story is common. If you "flip" through GM, you will see that the whole 1830 spb series are novodels listed as originals... And, there are many more examples there, I am sure...

There was an article on the history of novodels. Also, from the fact of 1722 2 ruble,as well as novodels of most medals, -- we know that those were produced pretty early on.

Agreed with BKB - you would think someone with a rather rare coin would have funds to buy a proper camera. Probably enough to buy a whole camera shop (?) :lol:

Would be interested to see a better photo.

Right, the numismatist has been busy with Russian coins for 50 years, but now he is very old, in poor shape, not able to photograph a coin, his name is nearly forgotten (his neighbor made the picture). We have been friends for 40 years. I'm urging him to send me the coin for inspection. But even packing and shipping is difficult for him. He promised to try. Once I have the coin, I'll be back with better pictures.

Sigi

-

P.S. Steve, I am 100% sure there is an error in Ilyin -- a 10 ruble coin would definitely show up at some point, with 40 -- 150 ruble coins popping up from time to time... Novodel with different edge.

I just checked -- last page of Ilyin -- error is corrected. Both are novodels.