CoinPeople.com

Shocking...

bobh

Question now is where do they draw the line. Dollar amount or date imported? Stuff that has been over here for years or recent imports? I have a Greek Tetradrachm minted in Amphipolis do they arrest me? I can't prove other then the date I bought it, not the date it was brought over. I am assuming the same laws apply. Are all the "trash" coins under a few hundred thousand going to be gone after also? What about all the museums? Maybe the Smithsonian and have them return this coin. How about arresting anybody associated with any Greek items. Is it just going to be some individuals high profile show coins. Is it a show case to say here we are? Really if they start this they need to first go after the Museums the massive import of ancient goods for Museums was unchecked and probably undeclared. Clear out them first to show good faith.

Question now is where do they draw the line. Dollar amount or date imported? Stuff that has been over here for years or recent imports? (...) Really if they start this they need to first go after the Museums the massive import of ancient goods for Museums was unchecked and probably undeclared. Clear out them first to show good faith.

Agreed. :bthumbsup:

At auctions, the museums are also often the winning bidders on high-end items such as the ones in the article. Why should they be treated any differently?

Maybe you should bury your collection in case they start going door to door, confiscating.

That way someone 2300 years from now can find it, which is most likely how the coins ended up in your hands in the first place (rather than some melting pot 2200 years ago). Boy will that throw future historians for a loop. "Athenian tetradrachms as well as other ancient Greek coins circulated world wide as late as 2000 CE," they will say.

All kidding aside this is scary stuff.

According to the criminal complaint Dr.Weiss commented in tape to an undercover agent that he knew that the tetradrachm was recently excavated and thus stolen property. Knowingly receiving stolen property is what he's being charged with.

And I thought the Department of Homeland Security had better things to do. If not, maybe it's a good place to start downsizing since they have the borders under control, no more drugs are coming into the US and no historical artifacts from the United States have ever been acquired and sent overseas. :(

And I thought the Department of Homeland Security had better things to do. If not, maybe it's a good place to start downsizing since they have the borders under control, no more drugs are coming into the US and no historical artifacts from the United States have ever been acquired and sent overseas. :(

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Archived