Tiffibunny

Do you collect themes?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you collect themes?

• Absolutely
    • Themes are lame.
    • I may consider it.
    • Bah! Who cares.

I have some BBLs and some coins with ships on them, and British Conder Tokens with architectural items (churches, bridges, etc.). I guess those are the themes I collect right now.

899967.jpg

897810.jpg

896845.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys... I'm fascinated by everyone's different take on collecting. Guess it's a good thing 'cause if more people collected my period I'd never get good stuff cheap! ;)

BTW, I likey BBLs too :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
JDen1952  North Dakota will have two buffalo on their statehood quarter next year unless something drastic happens. I to collect the buffalo and have your list plus a medal and currently looking at foreign buffalos. Nice subject! Did you know there, unless something changes, will be 4 gold buffalo's next year in pure gold. I believe it will give the mint another year to come up with new designs so the first year of the pure gold bullion coins will be replicas of the original buffalo nickel in 1/10 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce and a full ounce. Start saving your pennies as 2006 is not that far away and believe me, when these go on sale, they WILL BE HOT! :ninja:

Sorry to bring up an old subject, but I've been away for a short time.

That notwithstanding, I'd forgotten about the ND quarter. As for the gold Buffalo coin, according to Senate Bill S.1047, it'll be a "Buffalo Double Eagle" (dare we say, "Double Buffalo?").

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109...9P7em8V:e26702:

Yes, I'm already saving my Zincolns and wheaties. I plan on getting a Proof and Uncirc, maybe two if finances will allow. They sure beat the "First Spouse" coins. Imagine how many more Buffaloes we could have if we eliminated first spouses.

Jerry

Dolley Madison in gold might be an exception.

• 2 months later...
Just curious if anyone collects themes.  I collect coins with Medieval looking people on them, on banknotes I collect ugly or "strange" looking people on them, I also like bridges.

And you?  If you do, maybe show some.

I'm very partial to things with the Statue of Liberty on them as well.

900112.jpg

895890.jpg

OMG!!! I just realized I don't have the UNC versions of the US Statue of Liberty Commems! I only have the proofs. Sheesh. At least they're cheap. :ninja:

I have been looking for silver rounds and other coinage with her on.

I'm very partial to things with the Statue of Liberty on them as well.

Did you get last year's "Bartholdi" coin then? It shows both the Statue of Liberty and (on the other side) the Belfort Lion ...

10041233050000.jpg

Neat, as quite a few modern French commems ;) but expensive, as almost all modern French commems :ninja: .

Christian

Did you get last year's "Bartholdi" coin then? It shows both the Statue of Liberty and (on the other side) the Belfort Lion ...

10041233050000.jpg

Neat, as quite a few modern French commems ;) but expensive, as almost all modern French commems :ninja: .

Christian

That is a nicely laid out coin

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Yeah, actually. I collect non-wet science themed coins (physics, chemistry, astronomy and mathematics, but not biology and its family of sciences), and of course anything from my birth year. I like modern issues with themes from classical Greek mythology (still need to get the 'Icarus' coin in my avatar!), but haven't really done much with that yet.

Not an active collector for over a decade, but in the past I assembled ....

Small ancient Greek silvers (and related) from the towns and times of philosophers. I found about 35 to cover from Thales of Miletos to Hypatia of Alexandria. I used Lives of the Eminent Philosophers by Diogenes Laertius as my reference and guide.

Banknotes with physicists, which was hard to separate well from mathematicians and astronomers, so that was a broader set. It hit a ceiling, however, as banknotes tend to be high denomination and even at 17 cents to the kapoc, a 1000-kapoc note becomes a problem.

Banknotes with literary themes: national poets were pretty easy, but I included as well, printing presses (Bulgaria, for example) and literacy (Iceland, of course).

Silver rounds and bars from banks.

Phone cards celebrating fiber optics.

... but now all I collect is knowledge; and the only things I have left are the phone cards because they are unsaleable.

Archived