CoinPeople.com

Pictures from the State Historic Museum

alexbq2

I've just visited the famed Moscow's State Historic Museum - the place that owns the largest collection of Russian coins. Unfortunately, they don't actually have a dedicated numismatic exhibition. There are some coins here and there. I've tried taking a few pictures, but the lighting was bad, and only pictures of silver coins are identifiable. I'm attaching the Tauric silver and the feudal dengas.

tauric.jpg

dengas.jpg

Interesting. It seems that exhibits of coins are not all that popular. The US has taken down the exhibit of the National Coin Collection and spread some of the coins into other exhibit areas. Must be a trend for museums.

There are good museum exhibits in Netherlands at the Munt, Monnaie de Paris in Paris, in Stockholm and a small museum in Odessa Ukraine. The latter is privately run though, but very interesting see because of the ancient coins - many of which I collect myself.

There are good museum exhibits in Netherlands at the Munt, Monnaie de Paris in Paris, in Stockholm and a small museum in Odessa Ukraine. The latter is privately run though, but very interesting see because of the ancient coins - many of which I collect myself.

I actually visited the museum in Odessa last year. I've not noticed much of interest in it in tourists and locals but should say that the guy who runs it deserves high marks for his effort. There are two locations of the museum in the center of Odessa.

One more thing about museums: there is one in the heart of Oranjestadt, Aruba ! Weak exposition but huge effort !

It is interesing that Tauric coins do not have 5 kopeks. I wonder why it is not on display? When I was there 2 years ago, they had very many medals on display all over the museum. Are they still there?

Yes the medals were well represented, as well as quite a few military orders. All in great condition. But for some reason the St. Gorge cross of the 4th degree was all broken and missing pieces of enamel.

I have also paid a brief visit to the МЯУ (Moscow Hobby Market). But I was not able to attend the "Collectors Club" venue that occurs only on Sundays, and is open only till 13:00.

Archived