CoinPeople.com

Coin World cover story! (6/6 issue, available today)

Prethen

I'm absolutely elated to say that the next Coin World's cover story is one written by me. "The Power of 3's", a story about the three cent denomination. I've written several articles for Coin World but getting the cover is a first for me. All unattributed photographs in the article are my own (which I guess could be good or bad).

I would like to hear your candid thoughts on the article. Don't be afraid to take me to task...in fact, go for it!

This article has one of the longest bibliographical lists I've ever compiled for any article/report I've done. It was a lot of work to correlate and dovetail the history (as best I could, although there are a couple spots where I couldn't find a decent way to segue as well as I would have liked) into one cohesive story about the 3-cent denomination.

Also, feel free to give me some ideas you'd like to see for a future article. I have to admit that I'm a little berift of ideas at the moment and Beth Deisher (Coin World's editor) asked me to come up with some other article ideas. I usually don't like treading over the same old stuff, but I'd at least like to put a different spin on it.

Other articles I've done in the past have been: Early Proofs (a 3-part series with whom I shared the byline with Mike Norse of Alaska Coin Exchange), Early Proofs (reprise for Coin Values), Collecting Three Cent Nickels, and Foreign Coins Circulating in the U.S.

I hope you enjoy the article. I learned a LOT by writing it!

Congrats! Wish I could see it!

What about the patterns that flourished in the 1860s/70s that preempted the Morgan/Barber coins? Or the proofs of those coins - they are very rare but still attainable in price.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly a million stories out there.

1. How about all the Chinese fake coins, fake slabs, fake everything

2. How about a list of all the counterfeited coins and how they are made.

Example would be the Lincoln Cents 14D, 09S VDB, Mercury Dime 16D, etc.

3. Why everyone hates those new baby sized dollar coins.

4. The little known Half Cent, how many made, why stopped, amount left, etc.

5. Might be a touchy subject but a story about all the coin supply, coin

book, coin equipment companies. How long in existance, where made, etc.

6. Why has this hobby lasted for so many thousands of years.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations on a wonderful article! As I had not studied 3 cent coins much, your article was a good introduction into the subject.

Archived