CoinPeople.com

10 kopek 1836 proof

one-kuna

I think that cannot be told from the picture taken thru the plastic holder. On the poor picture it looks like having been cleaned :confus: Sigi

Either way, this is a pretty sharply struck coin. In many 5K and 10K of this series the center of the reverse in particular is weakly struck. This example has a very nice strike, especially when you look at the letters. I am hoping that Gx is right because the obverse looks like a bad photograph (hopefully).

I don't buy $4k proof or proof-like coins, so I really don't have much experience to speak of concerning coins of this caliber. :)

obviously NGC believes it to be a Proof 64. If it said Proof 60 (or, like I saw once, Proof 58) there would be room for doubt. But I do not think they would make this kind of a mistake. Thus, it is safe to assume that the coin is a proof strike. It looks a lot like a novodel 1830 em 5 kop that I have. (the strike, the color, even the discolorations) Possibly, it is also a novodel... I do not think someone is crazy enough to pay $4000 for it. At $2000 he would have a better chance. But, with these crazy Russian coin collectors you just never know.

obviously NGC believes it to be a Proof 64. If it said Proof 60 (or, like I saw once, Proof 58) there would be room for doubt. ...

Even if it were Proof-58 or Proof-50 (as i once had) , it is still a PROOF coin.

The number in the grade reflects the condition of the coin , and not its method of production (MS vs PF).

So, there is no doubt :bthumbsup:

obviously NGC believes it to be a Proof 64. If it said Proof 60 (or, like I saw once, Proof 58) there would be room for doubt. But I do not think they would make this kind of a mistake. Thus, it is safe to assume that the coin is a proof strike. It looks a lot like a novodel 1830 em 5 kop that I have. (the strike, the color, even the discolorations) Possibly, it is also a novodel... I do not think someone is crazy enough to pay $4000 for it. At $2000 he would have a better chance. But, with these crazy Russian coin collectors you just never know.

The pics are bad, but it looks like a proof to me... "hammered" full strike, squared rims about 1/2 a mm tall, squared lettering, smooth fields (that probably are more reflective at a different angle). I always assumed that proof = novodel, so I don't know why NGC didn't label it as such - they probably just don't know. It actually looks like a nice coin that's been the victim of poor photography. ;)

Archived