CoinPeople.com

A few Morgans back from PCGS with images

halfdollar

Very nice pieces!

I don't think I'll ever understand how the series is graded - if I were selling them, and based on the pics, I would had gone MS64 on the first one and MS62/3 on the last one (!)

Very nice pieces!

I don't think I'll ever understand how the series is graded - if I were selling them, and based on the pics, I would had gone MS64 on the first one and MS62/3 on the last one (!)

Every year has a different strike character. Some years are known for weak strikes and some are known for strong strikes.

Then there is a grading standard for bag marks or hits on the coin. Larger coins are allowed more hits whereas smaller coins

are not allowed to have many hits at all. Then you have luster, hits on devices vs, hits on the feilds

PCGS nas a great online Photograde

This one is for Morgans

I hope this helps

Thanks for the explanation and link!

It's weird since on a Canadian silver dollar, a MS64 is expected to have pretty clean fields. But as you suggest, it might have to do with they way they're struck and handled. (I think on Canadian coins, or at least on Canadian coins in my experience, the same standards are applied to all coins regardless of whether it's a 5-cent silver / half dime or a dollar)

Thanks for the explanation and link!

It's weird since on a Canadian silver dollar, a MS64 is expected to have pretty clean fields. But as you suggest, it might have to do with they way they're struck and handled. (I think on Canadian coins, or at least on Canadian coins in my experience, the same standards are applied to all coins regardless of whether it's a 5-cent silver / half dime or a dollar)

I think even for Canadian coins, grading of the larger coins is a bit more forgiving on hits/bagmarks than are the smaller ones. Still, often I look at my MS66 graded 1935 and 1949 dollars and they seem like they'd grade 67+ if they were Peace dollars with the same strike/lustre/and such few hits.

I've also heard that US coin grading (or perhaps just 3rd party grading) seems to go easier on key dates in a series. I've never seen this as the case in Canadian numismatics.

Archived