CoinPeople.com

Got Stars?

Art

I have a few star notes and thought it would be nice if we showed what we have in our collections.

4310523982_bc2a9aaaa2.jpg

4642664062_e9e4670291.jpg

I sell them or spend them. Never save, they mean nothing to me. I recently spent a Series 1950 $100 from the Richmond district that was a star note. Nobody wanted it so I blew it at Wal-Mart. OTOH I got a Series 1950-E $50 that was rather scarce on the district it was from and sold it at several times face value. Yes, I haunt banks for old banknotes just like coins.

Got several from Series 1934 $20s just today no less. Those I save for emergency money.

I save all the stars that I get. Since it's always a face value purchase, I've got nothing to lose. It surprises me that I find so few, given the amount of money I handle during a week. My $1 strap searches are over 800 now and still no stars, radars, series, oldies, whatever. Maybe time for a different bank.

PS - I never return the notes to banks. I just spend them.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice stars. You've got quite a nice collection there. :ninja:

Why thank you.

Honestly, I think most of them are going to end up being spent. Back when I first heard about star notes, I checked every bill I came across religiously. I was ecstatic when I was finally handed one. It was hidden in the middle of a stack of about 150 singles--the customer was from a vending company that prefers to spend their money directly, rather than deposit with the bank. Over the next year or so I snatched them up religiously... until I realized that I had several hundreds of dollars' worth of star notes. I let go of most of the $20s, and will probably get rid of the singles as well.

Currently, I will only keep a star note if it meets at least one of three criteria:

1. Has a low (starting with 00 or less) or radar/sequential serial number

2. Is from series '96 or earlier

3. Is in crisp uncirculated condition.

Why thank you.

Honestly, I think most of them are going to end up being spent. Back when I first heard about star notes, I checked every bill I came across religiously. I was ecstatic when I was finally handed one. It was hidden in the middle of a stack of about 150 singles--the customer was from a vending company that prefers to spend their money directly, rather than deposit with the bank. Over the next year or so I snatched them up religiously... until I realized that I had several hundreds of dollars' worth of star notes. I let go of most of the $20s, and will probably get rid of the singles as well.

Currently, I will only keep a star note if it meets at least one of three criteria:

1. Has a low (starting with 00 or less) or radar/sequential serial number

2. Is from series '96 or earlier

3. Is in crisp uncirculated condition.

I have spent way more than I've kept. Used to manage a truck stop and as with Finn235 realized real fast that there are a lot of star notes to be had. WAY MORE than I could ever afford even at face. I kept a few over the years though.

stars1.jpg

starnotes2.jpg

stars3.jpg

stars4.jpg

You might want to double check your paramaters there though Finn. I've pulled a few 1999 $1 notes (yes they are CU) that command a pretty nice premium due to low printing.

These babies for example.

fstar1.jpg

Bought them at face. Catalogue at $130 each in MS63. I've seen one graded MS67 and if I remember correctly was a CGA graded note and I don't put a great deal of faith in them. As far as that goes I think one of MINE is over graded.

Still, the point is, with a small run of only 640,000 this is a note I will keep in any condition. Ironically enough it will ALWAYS meet your paramater of starting with a 00. :ninja:

Well folks I don't work at the truck stop anymore. Now it's a coin shop so I do purchase a note here and there. Have a decent run of these.

57star.jpg

....and I bought this one at a Paper show years ago.

28astar.jpg

OK folks stars are fun and there are a lot to be found. I don't suggest keeping every one you ever find as it can get expensive in a hurry. Know what to look for and you just might find some nice surprises at face value.

I certainly keep my eyes open. What I would really like to find is a note with an upside down star. They exist so happy hunting to all.

Agreed. You have quite an impressive collection! Although one thing caught my attention... What is the deal with the mini $5 in the second picture?

Deflation.

• 1 month later...

Archived