CoinPeople.com

New to coin collecting

Hello all,

I am new to this forum (and coin collecting) and would be grateful for any advice you can provide. However, I apologise in advance for such a long post.

I recently received a box of coins from my mother-in-law which belonged to her late husband who was an avid collector in his youth (there is quite a large collection of coins in the attic which have not been looked at for years if at all).

The box contained hundreds of coins and has sparked a genuine interest in me as I have found some fascinating coins in the box, some dating back to 1703 and others which look and feel completely different to our own (UK) coins. Having never considered collecting coins I now find myself busy flicking through coin magazines and books at the local library as well as on the internet in order to find out more about each coin.

The reason for this post is to ask a few questions and get some feedback as to how I propose to become more involved in the subject:

1. I would like to combine my interest in computing with my new found interest in coins to set up a website whereby a can catalogue each coin I find. So far I have written notes in a scrapbook for the

coins contained in the box but believe it would be more fun to be able to add pictures and links to provide a more interactive learning environment.

Will it be frowned upon if I am asking questions in the forum which will be used to further my knowledge and potentially inform the information on the website?

2. How many questions are too many when you are first starting out?

3. Is it considered bad etiquette to post on different forums? (I have also posted this message on predicimal.com in the last 10 minutes)

4. Can you post pictures of coins for identification as some of the ones within the box do not have dates or words i.e. I believe they my oriental (circular with a hole in the middle)

5. Are there any specific books/journals/magazines/sites I should be reading or visiting?

I have lots more questions but will be grateful for any information you can provide.

Many thanks,

Robert

A quick reply to your questions:

1. You could try omnicoin, if not there are a couple of bits of software available, try googling it.

2. As many questions as you need to, ive been collecting for a couple of years and still ask more questions than I answer.

3. It doesn't matter how many forums you post on as far as I know.

4. Post away with pictures ( although if you have lots of coins try and post a few at a time in one thread ), im sure all the members here would like to see new coins and help you to identify them. I would be more than willing to help you with any I can. Oh and it might be a good idea to upload your pictures to a site like photobucket or imageshack etc then paste the link as this way you can post larger pictures on the forum.

5. As for books etc, it depends a lot on which country the coins you have are from, if it is British coins then I can probably point you in the direction of some resources. A couple of useful general sites are - http://worldcoingallery.com/ and http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/ although there are many out there.

Hope that helps a bit

Hello Rob and welcome to CoinPeople. I agree with everything that Mat said. We have a member "boydle" who has written a very nice program for coin collecting. It allows you to enter the info and pictures of your coins. He periodically gives copies away as prizes for contests and such. You may want to contact him via PM and ask about the next contest.

We have a number of members who have extensive coin sites/forums of their own. You'll find links to their sites in their signature lines. I'm sure they'd love to have you visit their sites for information. It's a great hobby and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Hi Rob and welcome! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, that's what we're here for, to help and assist each other in learning and furthering our knowledge about our hobby.

Also with regards to point 3. it is in no way bad ettiquette to post on more than on forum, I myself have posted on many coin forums over the last 8 years. I also happen to be one of the moderators for predecimal forum so you know if i'm doing it then I can't complain can I? :ninja:

Welcome!

Post as many questions you want. Post as many photos as you want. Visit as many different fora as you want.

It looks like you have caught the coin bug, and that is necessarily a good thing! :ninja:

You will find a wealth of information and history behind every coin, and researching and learning is probably the greatest aspect of numismatics.

I lurk around more than anything, but if you post photos and questions (especially about those coins with "holes" in the middle), there are a number of people around who can answer your questions, and I'll be more than happy to give some input for you.

Hope to see you around!

Archived