CoinPeople.com

my first gold

netFish

Hi, i was very happy to get my first gold coin. here it is:

1915 Austrian Gold 1 Ducat - uncirculated.

Congratulations! :ninja: Better than money in the bank, IMHO... I remember the first Swiss gold coins I bought and the feeling that I was holding something of real value in my hands.

Gold is always money well spent! Besides, you aren't really spending the money, you are investing it when you buy gold or any precious metals.

Hi, i was very happy to get my first gold coin. here it is:

1915 Austrian Gold 1 Ducat - uncirculated.

2hpiwqb.jpg

6g8rqp.jpg

Beautiful coin and great photography! Without a doubt a genuine product of the Austrian mint; a genuine restrike that is. All the 1915 dated Austrian gold coins are restrikes or atleast so many of them are that if any original 1915 dates exist they would never be worth more than the restrike.

Beautiful coin and great photography! Without a doubt a genuine product of the Austrian mint; a genuine restrike that is. All the 1915 dated Austrian gold coins are restrikes or atleast so many of them are that if any original 1915 dates exist they would never be worth more than the restrike.

hm... i though it is original from 1915 or 1925, what year re strike was done ?

hm... i though it is original from 1915 or 1925, what year re strike was done ?

They still make them on and off as dictated by demand. The Europeans like to hold actual gold. These smaller coins make good gifts to grandchildren etc and are also potentially more useful in hard times than the big full 1oz bullion coins. It is still a nice type coin as long as you buy them as a bullion coin. Same goes for the 1780 Maria Theresa thalers.

even if it is restrike - i like it :-)....

i will try to get some originals, do think Russian 5 Roubles 1890-1909 are restrikes or originals ?

to: retiredkper - how funny that you mentioned 1780 Maria Theresa thaler, i actually have one, was happy surprised that i've got this old coin for not such high price - but now i know why - it is restrike. Anyway it is very nice coin

i will try to get some originals, do think Russian 5 Roubles 1890-1909 are restrikes or originals ?

to: retiredkper - how funny that you mentioned 1780 Maria Theresa thaler, i actually have one, was happy surprised that i've got this old coin for not such high price - but now i know why - it is restrike. Anyway it is very nice coin

I don't remember any Russian restrkes of the late Czarist issues. There were a lot of fakes about 20+ years ago but they were easy to spot due to their poor quality and that they were gold plated bronze. In NYC there are some good coin shops which should have plenty of common gold coins, German ,French ,Spanish at very close to gold value in VF-Xf condition. With gold prices so high now it might be a good time to put gold purchases on hold and look at historic coins in other metals.

I don't remember any Russian restrkes of the late Czarist issues. There were a lot of fakes about 20+ years ago but they were easy to spot due to their poor quality and that they were gold plated bronze. In NYC there are some good coin shops which should have plenty of common gold coins, German ,French ,Spanish at very close to gold value in VF-Xf condition. With gold prices so high now it might be a good time to put gold purchases on hold and look at historic coins in other metals.

you might be right, price right now at 20 yrs high point ...... but who knows if prices will not go up again and again ....

There were 5 and 10 rouble gold coins which were struck by the Soviet mint after the October revolution, probably in the early 1920's. The Bitkin catalog mentions specifically the 1911 ten rouble coins:

"In Dec. 1925 - Mar. 1926, [the] Soviet Government has engraved [struck] 2,011,000 ten rouble coins and 1,000,000 five rouble coins of tsar [imperial] type (presumably with dies of 1911)."

Since these were struck with the original dies, there is absolutely no way of telling which ones were struck before and which were struck after the revolution. But other dates, especially 1899, are certainly possible. As to the 5 rouble coins, I think it is more likely that many coins were struck with 1909 dies considering how relatively common they are on the market today compared to 1910 and 1911 5-rouble coins which are terribly scarce. There is a similar situation with 1915 silver roubles, of which supposedly only 5,000 were struck, but which are much too common to support that mintage figure.

The 1911 ten rouble coin, although listed in most catalogs as scarce, is actually one of the most common. It is MUCH harder to find 1903, for example, than 1911. And 1909 and 1910 ten rouble coins are much scarcer, reflecting their low mintage numbers. And people pay insane prices for 1909 gold 5 rouble coins in high grade, although they are regularly encountered at auctions and almost always in BU condition.

There were 5 and 10 rouble gold coins which were struck by the Soviet mint after the October revolution, probably in the early 1920's. The Bitkin catalog mentions specifically the 1911 ten rouble coins:

"In Dec. 1925 - Mar. 1926, [the] Soviet Government has engraved [struck] 2,011,000 ten rouble coins and 1,000,000 five rouble coins of tsar [imperial] type (presumably with dies of 1911)."

Since these were struck with the original dies, there is absolutely no way of telling which ones were struck before and which were struck after the revolution. But other dates, especially 1899, are certainly possible. As to the 5 rouble coins, I think it is more likely that many coins were struck with 1909 dies considering how relatively common they are on the market today compared to 1910 and 1911 5-rouble coins which are terribly scarce. There is a similar situation with 1915 silver roubles, of which supposedly only 5,000 were struck, but which are much too common to support that mintage figure.

The 1911 ten rouble coin, although listed in most catalogs as scarce, is actually one of the most common. It is MUCH harder to find 1903, for example, than 1911. And 1909 and 1910 ten rouble coins are much scarcer, reflecting their low mintage numbers. And people pay insane prices for 1909 gold 5 rouble coins in high grade, although they are regularly encountered at auctions and almost always in BU condition.

The curiousity of the Soviets restriking the 10 ruble coins is that they must have been for some foreign purchase because they had minted the 1923 dated Chervonetz coins - but maybe they thought they would have no credibility outside of the USSR?

The curiousity of the Soviets restriking the 10 ruble coins is that they must have been for some foreign purchase because they had minted the 1923 dated Chervonetz coins - but maybe they thought they would have no credibility outside of the USSR?

Must have been for foreign government exchange purposes, I believe, because no Soviet citizen was allowed to possess gold or silver coins at the time (or was that only later?). Gold is accepted pretty much anywhere for exchange. But maybe for political reasons it was easier to exchange it with Nicholas II's face on it. :ninja:

Must have been for foreign government exchange purposes, I believe, because no Soviet citizen was allowed to possess gold or silver coins at the time (or was that only later?). Gold is accepted pretty much anywhere for exchange. But maybe for political reasons it was easier to exchange it with Nicholas II's face on it. :ninja:

I agree with you, it was probably political reasons

Well actually it gets a bit more complicated than that - they did strike the 1923 Chervonetz coins, and even a very rare 1925 dated example and issued gold certificates and "gold rubles" denominated notes into the early 1930's. So I believe in the era of the NEP or "New Economic Plan" from 1924 - 1929 they did have legal gold ownership - remember that the RSFSR and then USSR governments were issuing silver coins from 5 kopeks on up to the ruble. This was less to do with political factors and more to do with economic stabilisation. The USSR didn't go to a fiat monetary system until ca. 1931 when all the silver coinage dried up and coins were issued from then on in aluminum bronze. During the era from 1919-1924 the RSFSR and then USSR went through several ruble denominated currencies - they couldn't tackle inflation until they came out with their version of a hard money. Once they did that, then they could slowly pull out the corks and go to a completely fiat currency in a few years. In the 1930's when you could be found guilty of breathing of course it was made illegal to own gold and remained so until the early 1990's.

Archived