CoinPeople.com

1834 ROUBLE ALEXANDER I MONUMENT

kopeikin

There are ways on e-bay to avoid Chinese or Israely listings by using advanced serach. There is an option: "Items within miles of Zip or Postal Code

or Select a popular city.... If promptly used it will remove listings from China and Israel. Or use "location preferences" option to see items only in the U.S., North America or Worldwide.

WCO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are ways on e-bay to avoid Chinese or Israely listings by using advanced serach. There is an option: "Items within miles of Zip or Postal Code

or Select a popular city.... If promptly used it will remove listings from China and Israel. Or use "location preferences" option to see items only in the U.S., North America or Worldwide.

WCO

Thank you for your reply.

Here is another example. Let's say I want to search the entire world (except China and Israel) for Russian gold medals.

Let's make it very restrictive so that I will get as few results as possible for this example.

Go to advanced search and search in "Coins & Paper Money".

Search for "gold medal Russia", using "Exact words, any order" and in "Price" select items priced between $35,000 and $40,000.

As I write this, that takes me to THIS LINK.

I now have only 2 gold medals returned as a result, both priced at $38,000 and both offered by the same seller, coinsdealer, who happens to be located in Israel.

Okay, now go back to advanced search and use the same search, but this time under "Exclude words from your search", enter "Israel". Be sure to search both title and description.

Now there should be no results, because we have excluded "Israel" (or at least tried to do so).

When I do that, it takes me to THIS LINK and I still get the same 2 medals from the same seller in Israel as my result.

When you exclude something from your search, the term would have to be in the title or description for it to be removed.

So if you try to exclude "Canada", for example, only listings that contain "Canada" in the title or description would be excluded. Any listing where "Canada" is part of the username or location of the seller would not be excluded.

chinese fakes of russian coins are easy to indetify because most of them are marked "replica", even those which are not, - still easy to find out that those are fakes :ninja:

if fake coming from israel looks more difficult to identify as not genuine so just skip the auction;

how about the fakes that too difficult to recognize even for experts - any ebay searches will not help anyone to protect being cheated unless you start learn and study step by step this field and get some experience ;)

When you exclude something from your search, the term would have to be in the title or description for it to be removed.

So if you try to exclude "Canada", for example, only listings that contain "Canada" in the title or description would be excluded. Any listing where "Canada" is part of the username or location of the seller would not be excluded.

So, if I understand you correctly, you are confirming my earlier suggestion that it is not possible to exclude sellers in specific countries from ebay searches?

So, if I understand you correctly, you are confirming my earlier suggestion that it is not possible to exclude sellers in specific countries from ebay searches?

Yes. That would reduce business for Ebay. Of course, they wish to maximize total viewship and thus bids on all items.

can be any attempts to go around but there is no way to illuminate the study process :ninja:

Thank you for your reply.

Here is another example. Let's say I want to search the entire world (except China and Israel) for Russian gold medals.

Let's make it very restrictive so that I will get as few results as possible for this example.

Go to advanced search and search in "Coins & Paper Money".

Search for "gold medal Russia", using "Exact words, any order" and in "Price" select items priced between $35,000 and $40,000.

As I write this, that takes me to THIS LINK.

I now have only 2 gold medals returned as a result, both priced at $38,000 and both offered by the same seller, coinsdealer, who happens to be located in Israel.

Okay, now go back to advanced search and use the same search, but this time under "Exclude words from your search", enter "Israel". Be sure to search both title and description.

Now there should be no results, because we have excluded "Israel" (or at least tried to do so).

When I do that, it takes me to THIS LINK and I still get the same 2 medals from the same seller in Israel as my result.

There are many options in advanced search. You particularly asked about removing sellers and locations. There are options for both. Using word Israel will not remove sellers from Israel but will remove all items that have this word in title or subtitle of an item. But you can do search by country instead. Go to option "location" and chose items that are available in any country in the world or sent from anywhere in the world to your country. However, there is no way to remove particular group of countries from search. In "sellers" option of advanced search there is an ability to remove any number of sellers. Compile lists by country and you will be able to remove most listings from that country or group of countries.

Here is an example. I use the same search for words "gold medal russia" but for items that worth more than $1000.

I get returned 18 items:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gold...g=50&_rdc=1

Let's say I want to remove specific dealer from Israel. With e-bay name "coinsdealer". I use "sellers" option and exclude "coinsdealer" from list. I get this result, only 15 items left and 3 items that belong to a dealer from Israel are not there anymore:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gold...g=50&_rdc=1

If I have a list of all names of unwanted dealers I could easily remove all of them from search results. I can do this by country as well if I compile lists of e-bay sellers by country.

WCO

Yes. That would reduce business for Ebay. Of course, they wish to maximize total viewship and thus bids on all items.

No this is wrong information. It is possible to exclude sellers from any country and in any order from search. As explained just above option "sellers>exclude" in advanced search is designed for this exact task. This way you may exclude as many sellers as you want from your search results. Just specify their names separated by a comma.

WCO

No this is wrong information. It is possible to exclude sellers from any country and in any order from search. As explained just above option "sellers>exclude" in advanced search is designed for this exact task. This way you may exclude as many sellers as you want from your search results. Just specify their names separated by a comma.

WCO

Your method would permit excluding specific sellers, but not excluding specific entire countries of seller-origin.

It would be useful for excluding known or suspected sellers of questionable pieces, but that would require knowing the names of the sellers in question.

Considering that there are constantly new accounts popping up that sell questionable or undesired pieces, the method stated would not nearly be as convenient as a complete block on items originating in certain countries.

Your method would permit excluding specific sellers, but not excluding specific entire countries of seller-origin.

It would be useful for excluding known or suspected sellers of questionable pieces, but that would require knowing the names of the sellers in question.

Considering that there are constantly new accounts popping up that sell questionable or undesired pieces, the method stated would not nearly be as convenient as a complete block on items originating in certain countries.

You are right, as I said before the way e-bay designed option "location" it is impossible to remove several specific countries from search. However, it is possible to remove all sellers from a specific country. Let's say Israel and you search in Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Europe > Russia, but for items on e-bay only not in e-bay stores. You go to advanced search and in "location" you search only items in Israel. There will be over 500 of items but all they belong to these dealers (you do not need to see each item out of over 500 but use "exclude" option several times and see what's left). Finally in a few minutes you will get list of all dealers from Israel who currently sells on e-bay in Russian coins, here is the list:

menahemsheffy, zvi1995, shipov, antiquarium3, shop-smaragd, mg-jer, bricabracfun, 0700_eshaya, nec1960, karnevo, niroly, israrombizz2008, moonduck09, vlad18s, shalev610, coinsdealer, rucollectibles, israeselling, rucollectibles, 8239matt, markmov, avercoins, avishyes, snowmons1, coinrocker82, menachemcoins, yuliacoins, gadi1818, 311202lana, 972saar11, tuvalstamps, sprinzakcoins, mark-kaputkin, elie266, j-a-antiques, haimsha, shr1961

Now you search all Russian coins excluding these users. This way you excluded all sellers from Israel who currently have even a single item in Russian coins. Next time you do not need to compile the list. Use this list and search sellers from Israel excluding these. If new 2 or 3 sellers are found than just add them to the list. Again it will cover them all, even those that just appeared. May be it seems too complicated but it works.

So here is a list of all Russian coins that excludes all sellers from Israel.

http://coins.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=&am...=1&_ipg=200

WCO

You are right, as I said before the way e-bay designed option "location" it is impossible to remove several specific countries from search. However, it is possible to remove all sellers from a specific country. Let's say Israel and you search in Coins & Paper Money > Coins: World > Europe > Russia, but for items on e-bay only not in e-bay stores. You go to advanced search and in "location" you search only items in Israel. There will be over 500 of items but all they belong to these dealers (you do not need to see each item out of over 500 but use "exclude" option several times and see what's left). Finally in a few minutes you will get list of all dealers from Israel who currently sells on e-bay in Russian coins, here is the list:

menahemsheffy, zvi1995, shipov, antiquarium3, shop-smaragd, mg-jer, bricabracfun, 0700_eshaya, nec1960, karnevo, niroly, israrombizz2008, moonduck09, vlad18s, shalev610, coinsdealer, rucollectibles, israeselling, rucollectibles, 8239matt, markmov, avercoins, avishyes, snowmons1, coinrocker82, menachemcoins, yuliacoins, gadi1818, 311202lana, 972saar11, tuvalstamps, sprinzakcoins, mark-kaputkin, elie266, j-a-antiques, haimsha, shr1961

Now you search all Russian coins excluding these users. This way you excluded all sellers from Israel who currently have even a single item in Russian coins. Next time you do not need to compile the list. Use this list and search sellers from Israel excluding these. If new 2 or 3 sellers are found than just add them to the list. Again it will cover them all, even those that just appeared. May be it seems too complicated but it works.

WCO

Excellent explanation!

With Chinese coins it is the same problem as Russian coins: many fakes, mostly from China, but also in the US, UK and elsewhere (today I saw a UK based powerseller with a modern fantasy and two suspect coins)...

Excellent explanation!

With Chinese coins it is the same problem as Russian coins: many fakes, mostly from China, but also in the US, UK and elsewhere (today I saw a UK based powerseller with a modern fantasy and two suspect coins)...

Agreed, it's not actually "country" that you want to exclude, you want to exclude specific sellers from different countries that sell fakes and junk.

I personally know some dealers from Israel and they are honest and good people and never knowingly sell fake coins. The same is right for China.

Just compile a list of sellers that you never want to see in your search results and use it. Add to the list if necessary. You will get less coins in search result but all from excellent and trusted sellers. Good luck.

WCO

i am glad that finally have less competitors :ninja:

WCO

I was under the impression that the advanced search facility only excludes 10 sellers?

If you save the list to saved searches it certainly only saves the first 10 :ninja:

I wanted to bid on this beautiful coin on the eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=180477366824

When I hit "Confirm Bid" button at the last seconds of the auction the message went "Transaction Blocked". Coin went for $660 only! Seems to be unusually cheap for this coin in such condition. I inquired with the eBay - they said the Seller blocked me. I asked seller what happened. No reply. A few days before I remember asking the seller for the authentisity of this coin and what auction he got it from. He said he got it from a coin dealer and not from the auction. May be I was banned from bidding in retaliation for may question? I checked the seller's feed back - it is private all the way. Any thoughts on what really happened?

Thanks,

There is an option on ebay to block buyers without paypal account. It might be a reason for blocked transaction.

I found out that when I called eBay customer service after angry potential buyer asked me impolitely why I blocked him. :ninja:

anyone can bring detail points regarding 1834 ruble fake or not ??

Why? Are you looking to buy one?

As to searches on ebay ... just limit your search criteria by looking for very rare coins only :ninja: I cannot imagine that a search for 1795 MM (or just 1795 for that matter) in a Russian section will produce a huge number of results from China or otherwise... Just look for specific things.

The approach offered here is one that will work 100% -- almost, kind of, not really... because you would be buying these fakes second hand from other countries, or from the same chinese seller when he smartens up.

The best approach is educating yourself (no one will do it for you). There is no better advice, believe me because I went through the whole bit myself. And, I do not know anyone who had never bought a fake or an altered coin. Even the guys that buy exclusively at auctions. Go to auctions you can get to. Handle the coins offered for sale. Except for a few lots at certain auctions, all coins should be genuine. Look at as many auction images as you can get your hands on. Ask collectors you know to show their coins to you. Go to dealers, etc. The more coins you see, the better you are equipped to protect yourself.

And, by the way, I bought a few pretty rare copper and silver Russian coins from China back in the day. Even on ebay. Do not forget a huge colony of Russians in Harbin which was organized in 1890's (workers of the KVZHD (china eastern railway). Had a huge concentrated population rival to a mid size Russian town of the period. And, there was also pretty big number of Russian officers who escaped Bolsheviks by immigrating to that colony. Now, officers were almost always nobility, an I am sure a few of them had a coin collection. After all, GM, Tolstoy and other "fancy" guys and dealers popularized the hobby to a great extent. I am sure that the times were hard and the collections were sold. Thus, I would not just dismiss China as a source of Russian coins altogether...

There is an option on ebay to block buyers without paypal account. It might be a reason for blocked transaction.

I found out that when I called eBay customer service after angry potential buyer asked me impolitely why I blocked him. :ninja:

Kit, thanks for mentioning that. This however was not my case as I do have a PayPal account and in very good standing. My eBay feedback is 100% and I have around 100 feedbacks. The feedbacks are NOT Private. I would need some other explanation.

And, by the way, I bought a few pretty rare copper and silver Russian coins from China back in the day. Even on ebay. Do not forget a huge colony of Russians in Harbin which was organized in 1890's (workers of the KVZHD (china eastern railway). Had a huge concentrated population rival to a mid size Russian town of the period. And, there was also pretty big number of Russian officers who escaped Bolsheviks by immigrating to that colony. Now, officers were almost always nobility, an I am sure a few of them had a coin collection. After all, GM, Tolstoy and other "fancy" guys and dealers popularized the hobby to a great extent. I am sure that the times were hard and the collections were sold. Thus, I would not just dismiss China as a source of Russian coins altogether...

BKB is correct.

This coin came to me from the personal collection of a former dealer. He acquired it in 1965, in the shared purchase of the collection of a White Russian emigré from Harbin who made it to Australia after WWII.

1741elizabeth.jpg

Archived