CoinPeople.com

1834 ROUBLE ALEXANDER I MONUMENT

kopeikin

I wanted to bid on this beautiful coin on the eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=180477366824

When I hit "Confirm Bid" button at the last seconds of the auction the message went "Transaction Blocked". Coin went for $660 only! Seems to be unusually cheap for this coin in such condition. I inquired with the eBay - they said the Seller blocked me. I asked seller what happened. No reply. A few days before I remember asking the seller for the authentisity of this coin and what auction he got it from. He said he got it from a coin dealer and not from the auction. May be I was banned from bidding in retaliation for may question? I checked the seller's feed back - it is private all the way. Any thoughts on what really happened?

Thanks,

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I hit "Confirm Bid" button at the last seconds of the auction the message went "Transaction Blocked". Coin went for $660 only! Seems to be unusually cheap for this coin in such condition. I inquired with the eBay - they said the Seller blocked me. I asked seller what happened. No reply. A few days before I remember asking the seller for the authentisity of this coin and what auction he got it from. He said he got it from a coin dealer and not from the auction. May be I was banned from bidding in retaliation for may question? I checked the seller's feed back - it is private all the way. Any thoughts on what really happened?

Thanks,

I'm not sure, but I think you got lucky!

Thanks,

Maybe the seller has doubts about authenticity (or worse). The fact that you have already expressed doubt suggests that you will have the coin checked by experts and have a lack of authenticity confirmed. In that case, it might make sense to reject your high bid and have it go to the underbidder who might not be so careful.

Maybe the seller did you an unintended favor.

Thanks,

Do not regret - you are lucky.

Thanks,

kopeikin,

this one is a hard-one to identify FAKE for naive / unexperience novices and sometimes experiened but unsured collectors, or just for those who cannot recognize the difference to the genuine one

i would also add that buying coins on ebay like this one require some skills and experience, or just at list a little input - as to open some auction catalogs /coin catalogs and compare with original which some folks DO NOT DO at all but believe on a seller reputation/truthfull /intrigue/ description etc.

p.s. some buyers from russia before bidding also post a pics to different forums to find out if a coin genuine not saying from where this coin is; of course, there is a risk that the coin place can be found and topic-starter can be easilly overbid, but at list if a fake, will not bid at all as all forums have few experts to tell what it is !! :ninja:

one-kuna

Do not regret - you are lucky.

Thanks everyone. I do understand that I should be lucky. However the pain I went through when I lost this coin is unimaginable. (One day this seller will compensate me for what I went through). I liked this coin ( or rather its image) so much. I almost thought it is already in my collection. Cheers! There will be other coins in the world!

I know what you mean about unimaginable pain when you lose an auction :ninja: I actually missed out on one today when my browser decided not to load as I was putting in my bid, ended up not registering my bid which was 3 times as high as the winning bid.

Lucky you for not buying a fake, though! and keep an eye out for a genuine piece.

There should be more details on the angel on the column - it just looks odd.

I happen to have two of these ruble:

901754.jpg

and

I think it's proof but cleaned

901755.jpg

The first one seem to be plated copper (!) coin from what I remember. Even though it's worn, it's heavier at 20.9 grams. I don't have the coin with me as it's sleeping in another country so I can't check the coin.

Not long ago, I bought them for 100USD and 350USD (I think) respectively...

There should be more details on the angel on the column - it just looks odd.

Also, the area close to the base of the column is very different. And the nose and eye are quite different, as well as the hair looking a little messier on the fake.

I do understand that I should be lucky. However the pain I went through when I lost this coin is unimaginable.

I understand the disappointment of losing a coin you want so badly that it hurts. It has happened to me more than once.

But the pain if you had bought it would be even worse, because you would still not have a genuine example and you would have lost your money as well.

Genuine examples of this coin show up fairly regularly and you will have other opportunities to buy a real one.

I happen to have two of these ruble:

Not long ago, I bought them for 100USD and 350USD (I think) respectively...

the first one is a modern fake,

a second one looks genuine to me so far from the picture :ninja:

By the way. The seller suddenly replied. He said that he is certain that the coin is genuine and due to my lack of trust advised me not to ever bid on his auctions which I promised to him with certainty.

By the way. The seller suddenly replied. He said that he is certain that the coin is genuine and due to my lack of trust advised me not to ever bid on his auctions which I promised to him with certainty.

that's right - the seller needs a serios buyer for much more than it was sold (?) :ninja:

I don't think he would trust someone he has never met before, who he hasn't talked to, who was trying to sell him something for $600 if that were HIM bidding on a coin.

I think even if he doesn't know his coin is fake, he might be wondering that now and is just angry that something is wrong with his coin. Lucky you for getting banned forever :ninja:

The guy sounds like a jerkoff (sorry for being blunt) from what you're saying. He probably expects people to just throw money at his feet. You had every right to ask about the item you planned to bid on, especially considering the price that you were bidding. Either he just expected people to just blindly trust him and was deeply offended by your question, or he had something to hide. In any case you lucked out. I've seen some questionable dealers myself and I try my best avoid them. Good luck in the future.

I don't think he would trust someone he has never met before, who he hasn't talked to, who was trying to sell him something for $600 if that were HIM bidding on a coin.

I think even if he doesn't know his coin is fake, he might be wondering that now and is just angry that something is wrong with his coin. Lucky you for getting banned forever :ninja:

So sellers can block bidders on ebay.

But can bidders block sellers?

I would like to be able to search ebay for coins of interest without seeing the junk offered by certain sleazy sellers.

There are programs and content filters which I can use on my computer to block obnoxious scripts, popups, malware sites, flash video etc when surfing the net. It would be nice if I could find a way to do the same with online auction site listings.

So sellers can block bidders on ebay.

But can bidders block sellers?

I would like to be able to search ebay for coins of interest without seeing the junk offered by certain sleazy sellers.

There are programs and content filters which I can use on my computer to block obnoxious scripts, popups, malware sites, flash video etc when surfing the net. It would be nice if I could find a way to do the same with online auction site listings.

Wow, that would be great wouldn't it? Think of all the time and money that could be saved knowing what sellers to trust by blocking the shady ones. Or even better, have software that can do an analysis of a sellers integrity. It would show green for sellers who have a decent or stellar record, and a red flag for sellers with a poor or questionable standing. I don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice.

Wow, that would be great wouldn't it? Think of all the time and money that could be saved knowing what sellers to trust by blocking the shady ones. Or even better, have software that can do an analysis of a sellers integrity. It would show green for sellers who have a decent or stellar record, and a red flag for sellers with a poor or questionable standing. I don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice.

Great idea! It should at least show a red flag if any of their feedback indicated a sale of a fake in the past.

Great idea! It should at least show a red flag if any of their feedback indicated a sale of a fake in the past.

That would be really nice if it could be done, but I'd find it a major improvement if I could just send an instruction to the ebay server to (for example) show me all Russian coins (or something more specific like all 1752 MMD roubles), but to exclude all listings from seller "A", seller "B", seller "C" etc and all offerings from certain user-designated countries (such as those which are known counterfeiters).

That would require that the ebay server permit such filtering which, to the best of my knowledge, it currently does not.

:ninja:

Here is a search for "1857 Spain 10 Reales" LINK.

This search gives me a result for a fake from China LINK.

But I don't want to see any results from sellers based in China. So now I will do a search for "1857 Spain 10 Reales -China" and search both titles and descriptions in order to try to remove all sellers based in China from my results. LINK

But the fake from China still appears in my results even though I specifically said to exclude ALL sellers in China.

Archived