CoinPeople.com

Police arrest suspect, seek missing 1907 coin

Tiffibunny

"The missing coin had a pristine rating; only two of the surviving 1907 rolled-edge Indians had a higher grading, Higgins said. Even if the coin is found, its value has likely plummeted.

The thief had torn off the top of the plastic case in which it was sealed, exposing it to air, Higgins said."

Hmmm, exposing a .900 fine gold coin to air has certainly ruined it forever. Man, the people writing news stories these days don't seem to pay any attention to the people they interview. The coin dealer probably remarked on how easy it is to damage a coin by breaking the slab it's in and the writer translated what he said into Martian.

This story does sort of make you worry about trusting coins to registered mail again, though. If mail carriers are going to be stealing the contents of the registered mail pouches, I think I'd be safer using Fedex and DHL.

Now that explains why post office don't really want to handle bullion / coins / high money value because they just can't be insured no matter how much they can be worth :ninja: Or rather, there are times when I wished the sender didn't declare that it was a numis. related item - the post office often rips the content out and what happens next is that the coin will become scratched etc. And you can't prove that the custom has done it except to compare it with the seller's image. ;)

Nevertheless if let's say if I had a coin worth in excess of 100,000USD as described as 6 figures, I might do the shipping all by myself :lol: , i.e. buying a plane ticket etc. But in reality, that is something I would do if I had a million dollars lying around... ;)

Nevertheless if let's say if I had a coin worth in excess of 100,000USD as described as 6 figures, I might do the shipping all by myself ;) , i.e. buying a plane ticket etc. But in reality, that is something I would do if I had a million dollars lying around... :ninja:

That was very close to my thought on this. If I was to sell any large $$$ worth coin... part of the deal would be the buyer would be buying my airfair round trip for hand delivery.

-Bobby

Art has this same story on another thread and I was saying there how the guy should have stuck with lower priced coins and not have come in to the coin shop with that high dollar coin. But, the police and/or Postal Inspector have been on this guy since coin #1 and it took them this long to catch up to him.

Archived