CoinPeople.com

1826 Halfcrown - proof?

KoRnholio

Saw this beauty on Ebay and am strongly considering bidding on it. Seller is reputable, but is there any way to really tell if this is a proof or a standard strike? It seems like the proofs are quite rare. The reverse looks nearly perfect, but it looks like there may be some wear on the high points of the obverse.

I don't really have any basis of comparison other than what I found here: http://www.treasurerealm.com/coinpapers/en...oins/S3809.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1826-GEORGE-IV-PROOF...205184002r26596

Hi there! If the seller is as reputable as you believe, he/she will allow you to return the coin for a refund if you are not satisfied with it. You may lose the postage both ways, but this will be a small price to pay against the potential loss of a small fortune. I enclose my valuable coins in a sealed coin envelope so that my buyers can inspect them and return them for a refund without actually handling them. I've had no complaints about this and so far, no returns.

Why is the coin a 2 tone around the letters its darker and fields lighter..almost like its been cleaned.Not being expert i wouldnt know , sure looks like it though.

On business strikes often this is the case due to the coin being lightly circulated. The recessed areas in the legend tone one way, the slightly worn center tones a bit differently, often lighter in color.

Thanks KornHolio , useful bit of information that :ninja: which begs the question , if it happens to business strikes , should it happen to proofs and if there were only 150 proof sets made wouldnt they all be easily accounted for ?Why would this be outside its set ? Were other proofs issued , soz about all the questions , its an interesting item/listing.

Thanks KornHolio , useful bit of information that :ninja: which begs the question , if it happens to business strikes , should it happen to proofs and if there were only 150 proof sets made wouldnt they all be easily accounted for ?Why would this be outside its set ? Were other proofs issued , soz about all the questions , its an interesting item/listing.

These are the exact questions that I am unsure about as well. I am fairly new to British coins, and the only proofs I have much experience with are from the last half of the 20th century.

I have seen old proof coins with wear on the high points, coins graded PR58 aren't uncommon. It's possible that in the nearly 200 years since this coin was issued, that its owners have handled it enough to cause some wear. Given that it was separated from it's proof set at some point, I'd say it's even more likely that this is the case.

BTW the seller has added some more pictures of the coin, showing the more reflective proof fields.

The fields are nice and smooth, a polished look, it's a proof!

My 2004 Spink (now a tad out of date but still useful) gives the non-proof 1826 H/C as worth 125 GBP in EF, 350 in UNC. It lists a proof in FDC as worth 750 GBP. I'd think it's an EF? And also, the coin looks as if it's heading for a higher figure anyway.

As has been mentioned, a reputable seller always lets you return the coin if it's not as described..

The fields are nice and smooth, a polished look, it's a proof!

My 2004 Spink (now a tad out of date but still useful) gives the non-proof 1826 H/C as worth 125 GBP in EF, 350 in UNC. It lists a proof in FDC as worth 750 GBP. I'd think it's an EF? And also, the coin looks as if it's heading for a higher figure anyway.

So it's a lightly circulated proof? I think I'd prefer a circulated business strike due to the price, but it's still a very nice coin.

Its very hard to tell sometimes by only looking at a picture. In fact I'm on my laptop now and if I look at the same coin picture on my main PC the coin often looks different.

The way to tell a proof coin is if you are handling it the edges are a lot sharper compared with business strike which tend to be more rounded. The details and the letters tend to be struck a bit sharper as are usually the denticles or beads around the edge.

Obviously proofs usually have reflective fields although these can be lost due to wear.

It is actually quite rare to come across circulated proof coins as they don't tend to get into circulation or handled very much.

If you do find one proof collectors don't pay big money for them as there are usually nicer examples available for purchase.

Thanks a bunch for the reply Hussulo. Looks like the proof collectors liked this one anyways, final bid of 855 GBP! I could be wrong about there being wear on the high points, but it seems like some of the hairs on the king's head are either not fully struck, or are slightly worn. Either way, not an FDC in my opinion, so I didn't bid on it.

Thanks a bunch for the reply Hussulo. Looks like the proof collectors liked this one anyways, final bid of 855 GBP! I could be wrong about there being wear on the high points, but it seems like some of the hairs on the king's head are either not fully struck, or are slightly worn. Either way, not an FDC in my opinion, so I didn't bid on it.

A handsome price for a somewhat middle of the road coin(strictly in my own opinion) Kornholio , you'd have needed to cash in that maple to get it , don't blame you mate.

I agree with you . I would grade it more along the lines of EF.

Seems like a very strong price, perhaps a couple of bidders did think it is a proof.

Here's a similar one sold at auction:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...564&Lot=380

Archived