CoinPeople.com

Buchenwald Notes?

Dillon

Hello, my brother purchased this note from a military show acouple of moths ago. The guy who sold it to him said it was obviously SS, and it was currency used in the Buchenwald concentration camp during world war 2. I couldn't find any information for him about it, history, or what it is worth. If you know any information about these notes, its greatly appreciated!

100_1352.JPG

100_1353.JPG

100_1357.JPG

Thanks,

-Dillon

I don't know anything about them directly but there is a book that covers all of the prison camp money issues. The ANA Library may have it or you might find it on Amazon or Google.

I don't know anything about them directly but there is a book that covers all of the prison camp money issues. The ANA Library may have it or you might find it on Amazon or Google.

Spooky to think that an SS officer might have been using that before abusing starving Buchenwald prisoners...I take it they weren't given out to any prisoners themselves.

hi.

lots of nazi concentration camps used paper money, or for prisoner's camp. also paper money issued for special ghetto like Trettin or Lodz are known.

the nomination was not reich or rentenmark yet lagermark or something like this. the simple use of this note outside the camp led to the arrest of the owner.

so this notes, that look genuine to me, are probably from a prisoner or an officer or a son or grandson of them.

i had a site that tried to pull al this together but eighter i lost the link, eigher it was delleted.

Compared to Westerbork in Netherlands, Lodz in Poland and Thieresenstadt in what is now Czech Republic, Buchenwald was not a transit camp, that is what is unusual about the money issued there - it was primarily a death camp. That is what is enigmatic about the issue of money for the camp, whilst it is known as a death camp, there was some labour effort going on there for the Fascist war effort and the prisoners were paid in this money that could be used in a camp store, or incredibly - even an alleged brothel.

Archived