CoinPeople.com

Bakken Collection - who's going to Munich?

sigistenz

The auction is over. From what I understood briefly speaking to my friend, the copper auction did not go that strong.

One coin sold very high - 1804em polushka sold for something like 26,000 Euro plus comission.

Thanks Igor! Maybe I'll actually win something. Yes, the 1804EM polushka is the first example I've seen so far....that bid wasn't mine though. :ninja:

It is indeed lovely. Congratulations, bobh!

Thanks, grivna & Steve! :ninja: I also bid on a 1767-MM pyatak, but it went for well over the €100 I was prepared to spend on it.

As a kind of consolation prize, I won this in G&M's preceding day USA auction:

USA: 1937-D Oregon Trail 50 cent commemorative

This is one of the scarcer dates of the series ... total mintage was only about 12,000 for that year.

The auction is over. From what I understood briefly speaking to my friend, the copper auction did not go that strong.

One coin sold very high - 1804em polushka sold for something like 26,000 Euro plus comission.

All of the rarer coins did pretty well, as did things in high grade (unless they are so common that there was just no interest generated -- e.g. some of the later-date Catherine II AM mint pyataka). But there were a lot of real "dogs" on sale, too (also in the other Russian offerings), and many of these went unsold. I think the clientel for these coins is just very sophisticated and discriminating; Russian copper is definitely not for the average collector, IMHO.

Of the items sold, were any of these actual bargains?

All of the rarer coins did pretty well, as did things in high grade (unless they are so common that there was just no interest generated -- e.g. some of the later-date Catherine II AM mint pyataka). But there were a lot of real "dogs" on sale, too (also in the other Russian offerings), and many of these went unsold. I think the clientel for these coins is just very sophisticated and discriminating; Russian copper is definitely not for the average collector, IMHO.

Of the items sold, were any of these actual bargains?

I haven't been through the whole set of results yet but I broadly agree with you Bob. Certainly nothing I bought was a bargain, but ask me again in five years :ninja:

Wow...that was quick! ;)

Looks like this one is mine now:

5 kopecks 1804-EM, lot 7560

;)

Congrats, Bob, that's a beauty. I was after some of the 5kopKM of that series (1802-1810), but the other floor bidders were selfish enough to outbid me every time :ninja: The dates I needed fetched between €500 and 850, I would have had to still overbid that by €50. I also was interested in the 5kop1767MM but as it was not too nice (yes, I know, the 1767MMs never come nice), I bade halfheartedly, let it go at €450.

I only got one coin, will present it in a separate thread. Sigi

Congrats, Bob, that's a beauty. I was after some of the 5kopKM of that series (1802-1810), but the other floor bidders were selfish enough to outbid me every time ;) The dates I needed fetched between €500 and 850, I would have had to still overbid that by €50. I also was interested in the 5kop1767MM but as it was not too nice (yes, I know, the 1767MMs never come nice), I bade halfheartedly, let it go at €450.

I only got one coin, will present it in a separate thread. Sigi

Good to hear that you met Mr. Bakken and that he still has something in reserve!

Also, it's good to know that you won something! ;) We are all looking forward to hearing about it. Sounds like you had a good time in Munich. I regret that I wasn't able to attend in person, but OTOH what I saved in expenses by not going, just about paid for my coin! :ninja:

I also bought only one coin. :ninja:

To the question if there were any bargains in the auction - hard to say, and based on Sigi's experience you never know at what point the bidding opponents will let you have the coin you want.

Let's hear from this group - does anyone think he bought a coin at this auction for a song?

I also bought only one coin. :ninja:

To the question if there were any bargains in the auction - hard to say, and based on Sigi's experience you never know at what point the bidding opponents will let you have the coin you want.

Let's here from this group - does anyone think he bought a coin at this auction for a song?

I bought couple lots, and I'm very happy to have in my collection lot 7047 5k 1721 LINK: http://sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=171&lot=7047

Archived