CoinPeople.com

Gothic Florins

KoRnholio

I am looking for a decent example and need some help with grading and pricing. Ideally, I'd like one in at least aEF.

How would this one grade? VF or so?

http://www.coinsgb.com/sitebuilder/images/...ton-579x275.jpg

The one above does look like a VF. If you are looking for a true XF 'or higher' you'd have to be prepared to pay at least a hundred pounds for such a good coin or otherwise just get really lucky.

The one above does look like a VF. If you are looking for a true XF 'or higher' you'd have to be prepared to pay at least a hundred pounds for such a good coin or otherwise just get really lucky.

I'd like one that is a little better than the one in the link I posted. gVF or about XF would be ideal. I looked through the Heritage auction database, and those slabbed MS60+ went for quite a bit, even years ago. For a solid, problem-free EF, I wouldn't mind paying $150-175 US. If anyone knows of a seller with one that will ship to Canada, gimme a shout :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Found one on the 'bay, but the pics leave me a bit skeptical. Details look great, but it has an odd color to it. All the seller's pics of other 19th century British coins have the same kind of metallic hue to them. His grading seems solid, except for one veiled head crown that he called EF, which is probably more like fine+ (seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-CROWN-LVI-XF_W0QQ...93%3A1|294%3A50.

I really want to pull the trigger, but my spidey senses are tingling on this one. Thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

That VH Crown does look a bit dodgy, maybe aVF but I'd say you could even be spot on..

The Gothic Florin - yes, does look a nice grade (XF) but I don't feel sceptical about the colour?..

All the seller's pics of other 19th century British coins have the same kind of metallic hue to them

You've made me scratch my head seriously now ;)

I don't see the prob - go for it!! :ninja:

(But you can't blame me if it's dodgy haha)

• 4 months later...

A little update, just got this one off the 'bay. Not as high of a grade as I'd have liked to purchase, but the price was right :ninja:

I'll have to work on my photography skills, I don't know how it is coming out so purple. In hand it is very dark/purple in the devices, but the rest is basically grey.

my%20gothic%20florin%20obv.jpg

my%20gothic%20florin%20rev.jpg

Archived