CoinPeople.com

Need info & opinion on slabbed coins

Recehan

Anyone here collect some slabbed coins?

Im thinking of getting graded kansas silver quarter. I checked on ebay and found some of them slabbed by prominent grading companies such as PCGS, NGC, and ICG. My question is which one is the best to get? (thats why my title says info & opinion) I like the look of NGC slab compared to the other two. What is that white paper around the coin in NGC slab? Im pretty sure it wont damage the coin but what kind of paper is that?

Most likely I will try to get the PF69. I cant rationalize the price diff between 69 and 70. And why PCGS uses 'PR' and NGC uses 'PF'? (just curious)

Anyone here collect some slabbed coins?

Im thinking of getting graded kansas silver quarter. I checked on ebay and found some of them slabbed by prominent grading companies such as PCGS, NGC, and ICG. My question is which one is the best to get? (thats why my title says info & opinion) I like the look of NGC slab compared to the other two. What is that white paper around the coin in NGC slab? Im pretty sure it wont damage the coin but what kind of paper is that?

Most likely I will try to get the PF69. I cant rationalize the price diff between 69 and 70. And why PCGS uses 'PR' and NGC uses 'PF'? (just curious)

If you want something you won't regret, get NGC. Their standards are much better than their competitors. PCGS is average and ICG is generic. Going generic is good for soda but not for getting your coin graded.

If you like the look of the NGC slab better than the others, go with NGC. The big 3 as far as I'm concerned are ANACS, NGC and PCGS. I like ANACS because I'm into copper coins and I think they do a better job on Indian Head Cents than any other service.

I believe for modern coins, PCGS graded coins usually command a premium over the others due to their registry program (since you are talking about a state quarter, this applies). For other series, NGC is at least comparable or superior in my opinion.

I almost made the mistake of buying a graded coin by some company (before I really knew about grading) and thanks to people here I didn't. Now I will only buy ANACS, NGC, or PCGS.

If you are just looking to get a State Quarter in a protective tomb just get the best deal you can on a very nice looking Proof Kansas quarter and buy an Intercept Sheild holder for it (just look up Ira Stein over in RCC or on ebay [iras4]) for them.

If you are looking to get a graded and protected proof example, only ICG use the Intercept Shields in their slabs.

But remember, if you want the number, you are going to pay much more for it than if you would find a raw example yourself.

If you like the look of the NGC slab better than the others, go with NGC. The big 3 as far as I'm concerned are ANACS, NGC and PCGS. I like ANACS because I'm into copper coins and I think they do a better job on Indian Head Cents than any other service.

I like NGC because the label looks more convincing and the hologram sticker in the back is a plus. PCGS label looks like a standard computer print out on a piece of paper that can be copied easily. Put them side to side, you will see what I mean.

My bad about the big 3... :ninja: I knew it was something else but when I browsed ebay ICG came out alot, that's why I said ICG as the third.

Is this registry program some sort of 'show off' style program? ;)

Why does it command for higher prices?

Im planning just to get the slabbed kansas quarter only and for personal reason.

Yes, most of those companies seem to have their statehood proof coins slabbed at PR70 all the time no matter what!!

Archived