CoinPeople.com

Alcohol to remove finger's acid on coins?

cowhodan

Today I got some $100 coins at the bank ;), you know how bank employees handle the coins.. :ninja: Its a crime what they do with this big, silver and shiny coins, I have heard that alcohol can remove the acid that the fingers leave on the coins, do you know if this is true? Does the shiny surfaces become affected?

Thanks!

Trantor_3, thanks for your reply.

The coins are also slightly toned in the silver center, someone knows if this can also be removed with acetone? My main preocupation is that acetone or alcohol removes the bright surfaces.

Today I got some $100 coins at the bank ;), you know how bank employees handle the coins.. :ninja:  Its a crime what they do with this big, silver and shiny coins, I have heard that alcohol can remove the acid that the fingers leave on the coins, do you know if this is true? Does the shiny surfaces become affected?

Thanks!

Pure alcohol will remove the prints but if it is denatured it probably got ethylacetate in it

Woodalcohol or Rubbing alcohol being Methanol or Iso propylalcohol still have

at least 10% water and this will leave drying spots unless you follow it up with a distilled water wash

Best is to simply put the coins in acetone for a minute without rubbing or anythings

and then keep them in hand slightly waving the hand for a minute untill dry

( Well ventilated area , no eating , no smoking etc )

Some coins look better greasy then clean because they have wear or hairline cracks

Artificially toned coins may lose their toning

But if a real thumb or fingerprint was put on ; in a short while it will etch the metal and be visible probably for ever more

Best is to simply put the coins in acetone for a minute without rubbing or anythings

and then keep them in hand slightly waving the hand for a minute untill dry

( Well ventilated area , no eating , no smoking etc )

I am experimenting with a 2005 Finn €2 that I got in change today. Very close to UNC, except for the fingerprints on it. It is taking a bath in pure acetone right now.

Don't worry about acetone dipping. Acetone has no effect on mint luster or toning.

The skin oils will come off with acetone dipping but you have to be quick. Get after the coins as soon as you suspect they've been touched with bare fingers.

Don't worry about acetone dipping.  Acetone has no effect on mint luster or toning.

The skin oils will come off with acetone dipping but you have to be quick.  Get after the coins as soon as you suspect they've been touched with bare fingers.

How soon a fingerprint will etch into a metal depends on a lot of factors like the kind of metal and temperature and how acid the individual was that put the print on

The only report of acetone taking toning of I have heard was of a silver coin baked in a potato to retone

Acetone toke some of that retoning off

I have also been told that very circulated coins may look better with the grease on

I am experimenting with a 2005 Finn €2 that I got in change today. Very close to UNC, except for the fingerprints on it. It is taking a bath in pure acetone right now.

Sat overnight in the acetone (I forgot it there). Almost all of the fingerprints came off.

Sat overnight in the acetone (I forgot it there). Almost all of the fingerprints came off.

Those that did not come off were etched in allready and removing those

from a valuable coin may not be a good idea because this would require stripping the top layer of with an acid or a base

But the test you carried out gives you a general idea what will come off

Archived