CoinPeople.com

unknown coin also

chris421649

Don't know what that is, nor the other ones you posted. You might want to incorporate all of them into one post so that if someone does know, they can answer you all at one time.

Tried to do that but for some reason site kept telling me I could not upload size more than 100k.

Tried to do that but for some reason site kept telling me I could not upload size more than 100k.

:ninja: Woah! That means that the picture scaner that the site uses to check for explict images auto-identified the coins in that picture and valued them at over 100k!!!!!!

:ninja: Woah! That means that the picture scaner that the site uses to check for explict images auto-identified the coins in that picture and valued them at over 100k!!!!!!

No, he was talking about the size if the picture. It was more than 100 kb, as in the bite size. No $ value here.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it is Indian but as for date!! one of the guy's did a few translations of the writting on Indian coins here but I cant remember who it was LOL Will have a look to see if I can find out

Found him :ninja: majestic12 have a look at some of his posts they might help quite a bit

Looks like it's from the Maharatha period :S

:ninja:

No, he was talking about the size if the picture. It was more than 100 kb, as in the bite size. No $ value here.

You'll come to learn I am a very sarcastic person.

India, Gurkha Kingdom, Chand Rajas (until 1790 AD), AE Paisa in the name of Mughal emperor Shah Alam II (1759-1806 AD), Almora mint, ND. The KM# according to my ancient catalog is C#5. The second, i.e., right image is the obverse, showing footprints of Lord Vishnu. The mass should be around 5 grams and the diameter around 18 mm.

India, Gurkha Kingdom, Chand Rajas (until 1790 AD), AE Paisa in the name of Mughal emperor Shah Alam II (1759-1806 AD), Almora mint, ND. The KM# according to my ancient catalog is C#5. The second, i.e., right image is the obverse, showing footprints of Lord Vishnu. The mass should be around 5 grams and the diameter around 18 mm.

Amit, thank you very much for the help, just for my information, what is the denomation, was Chand Rajas an underling of Shah Alam II, what do the initials ND stand for and I dont understand what KM# or C# is. Iwill try to post a better image of the roman. If you let me know what you collect I would be only to glad to keep an eye out for you. I picked up this coin in a car boot sale a few weeks ago for 50p, I dont know if that was a good buy or not but for 50p who cares. I also have some british doubles that I can send to you if you want just let me know. regards, Chris.

what is the denomation

The denomination is "Paisa". ("AE" is for the metal it is made of, i.e., copper.)

Was Chand Rajas an underling of Shah Alam II

"Chand Rajas" does not denote a ruler, but a clan. You can read about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chand_Kings

The specific ruler who issued this coin is not known (at least not from the coin). The Mughals ruled over most of Northern India and the local rulers accepted their authority. Thus, the native states issued coins in the name of the Mughal emperor. In case of later Mughal emperors, however, this "authority" was purely nominal as the empire had weakened considerably.

what do the initials ND stand for and I dont understand what KM# or C# is

"ND" is used to indacate that the coin is undated (there is no year of issue on it).

"KM#" is the numbering system used by the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Chester L. Krause and Clifford Mishler (and also by The Standard Catalog of South Asian Coins and Paper Money, 1981, which I have). C#5 is the specific number given to your coin in The Standard Catalog of South Asian Coins and Paper Money.

I picked up this coin in a car boot sale a few weeks ago for 50p, I dont know if that was a good buy or not but for 50p who cares.

Since my catalog is pretty old (1981), I'm unable to give you the current value of your coin. Still, 50 p seems like a very good deal to me. One does not come across these coins very often, even here in India.

Archived