STEVE MOULDING

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now online, more than 800 lots.

http://www.adacoins.ru/catalog.php

;)

lot#592,

2 copper kopeks 1810 EM-NM...so-called chicken type...

listed as Bitkin 346 - R1, small crown on the top of eagle heads... :ninja:

but it is Bitkin 344 - no rarity at all - regular crowns both sides... ;)

also it has a reference to Sothebys 1983, which is from a Virgil Brand collection,

looks to me as the same coin was sold at 10000 krons (100 krons were $17 at that time plus auction comission)

in Hoilander part II, lot 1391, with the incorrect description to the Bitkin catalog,

also, going back to Brand collection part IV with Russian coins - just checked in - which lot could it be -

possible 197 or 198...

I believe anything that is dated before 1957 is subjected to a crazy antique export ban law which means either you must file permit to send them out with crazy fees or send them illegal with the possibility of getting arrested. I'm not too sure but I'm sure Igors or someone else can give you a better picture.

This year it should be 1959. I've never heard of any permits.

lot#592,

listed as Bitkin 346 - R1, small crown on the top of eagle heads... :ninja:

but it is Bitkin 344 - no rarity at all - regular crowns both sides... ;)

also it has a reference to Sothebys 1983, which is from a Virgil Brand collection,

looks to me as the same coin was sold at 10000 krons (100 krons were $17 at that time plus auction comission)

in Hoilander part II, lot 1391, with the incorrect description to the Bitkin catalog,

also, going back to Brand collection part IV with Russian coins - just checked in - which lot could it be -

possible 197 or 198...

IMHO there are more variations to the crown than are described in Bitkin. This is not the one used in the following years - so not Bitkin 346. But the eagle's crown does appear to have a wider base than the Bitkin 344. I'm not sure what that means in terms of rarity.

IMHO there are more variations to the crown than are described in Bitkin. This is not the one used in the following years - so not Bitkin 346. But the eagle's crown does appear to have a wider base than the Bitkin 344. I'm not sure what that means in terms of rarity.

I am not touching any other crowns but by Bitkin only, which are referenced in adacoins...

do you have a Bitkin cat on a front of you?

if so - look at a large crown and small crown of 2 kopeks of 1810 chicken type...

if you see a difference, then compare it with above crowns to the regular crowns of both sides...

this one is what both auctions failed to describe correctly...

they do not see a difference...

lot#592,

listed as Bitkin 346 - R1, small crown on the top of eagle heads...

but it is Bitkin 344 - no rarity at all - regular crowns both sides...

possible 197 or 198...

Regular coin. The most common type (not counting the feathers (but that is not catalogued anywhere)). Regular (1810 type) crowns I was laughing when it sold on Hoiland as rare coin for s**t load of $. I guess someone believed the discription. :ninja:

There are more crown variations, but most are listed by Illin. If we all pull together, I am sure we can illustrate all ( or most) of those variations to educate the auctioneers. ;)

Here are some variations that I've seen on the net.

1810yr4.jpg

could you open a new topic to collect 1810 variations :ninja:

this one I believe is about Alexander auction house and its coming auction for their copper coins ;)

could you open a new topic to collect 1810 variations :ninja:

this one I believe is about Alexander auction house and its coming auction for their copper coins ;)

At this moment I have nothing else to contribute on the subject of 1810 eagles and crowns. If you have more on this topic you can go ahead and open a new thread.

I think we can do better - create a new catalog with what we have :ninja:

It would be an interesting past-time, but we would not have enough for a comprehensive catalog. Could try to base it on GM photos whenever we do not have a coin in our collection, adding our variations + auction sales. Then we would come close to something interesting and somewhat useful.

Hard to agree on a cut-off on condition and minuteness of a variation. Do not want to resemble coin catalogs of Soviet coins with sun ray measurements, etc... Also, need to agree on format, classification and grouping, whether to include articles, etc.

I am game. Got to get everyone on board, for only a collective effort could produce some result.

BKB, what nonsense are you talking about. :ninja: I reckon we have more than enough to create at least 50% of Uzdenikov's catalog from our collection alone. (if we leave the gold and platinum coinages aside) (Or am I way too overoptimistic?) There is also a good reason for this exercise too. For instance - Alex's example of the 1830 2 kopek came as a total surprise as most catalog have it recorded as common where it seems to be very untrue. Steve's research of the Paul I copper coins also had something interesting.

Honestly if there wasn't a copyright issue, it would be relatively easy to compile a database where everyone can add coins of their own personal collection and from major auction houses. However this can be very problematic and hence I suggested that we can start off by pulling images from our collection.

Agreed, there are some varieties that are way too detailed such as macroscopic die location in some of the modern Russian / Soviet coin studies which I find it absurd but I think something can be worked. What's more important is having enough raw data to work with.

Uzdenikov is no kind of catalog for die variations. Types and dates/mint marks, that is all it is good for. I have not used that book in ages. I must have missed the Alex's "1830" discussion. It would be way more fun to illustrate Illin, for, unlike Uzdenikov, that book is way more useful as to die variations, but lacks illustrations. Good place to start is copper. Gold and platinum we can forget about. Maybe type illustrations... Silver would be hard enough.

BKB, I understand very well that Uzdenikov's catalog is way too basic. What I meant is that we can start off as a basic framework by categorizing by years, denomination and mintmark. From there, it is possible to add variation which otherwise I can't find an efficient way of sorting an almost impossible task of over 200 years of coinage.

Alex's discussion of the 1830 2 kopek can be found here: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=22226

It might be underrated and probably more than scarce as I still haven't found any 1830 2 kopek yet.

BKB, I understand very well that Uzdenikov's catalog is way too basic. What I meant is that we can start off as a basic framework by categorizing by years, denomination and mintmark. From there, it is possible to add variation which otherwise I can't find an efficient way of sorting an almost impossible task of over 200 years of coinage.

Alex's discussion of the 1830 2 kopek can be found here: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=22226

It might be underrated and probably more than scarce as I still haven't found any 1830 2 kopek yet.

I see. You want to follow the categorization ov Uzdenikov's catalog. But then, what are you doing that is so different from V.V.? Why not go by Illin, with infinitely more die variations and no illustrations whatsoever? And you must include auction results, otherwise the catalog is meaningless.

Brekke had an 1830 em old type.

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody has this auction results?

did you visit their site if they placed it on?

Now online, more than 800 lots.

http://www.adacoins.ru/catalog.php

:ninja:

does anyone have this catalog for sale at reasonable price....thank you on advance...with offer please write me to personel e-mail...

http://www.adacoins.ru/result-11.html

Many unsold

Best Regards to everybody

Davide

Thanks for the link! :ninja:

I'm surprised that none of the three or four 1752 dengi found a buyer ... this is hard to find! Although the asking price is a little steep for these, the one AU coin should have sold, IMHO...

Too bad these are in Russia and cannot be exported legally. ;)

Archived