CoinPeople.com

Is this coin really rare?

janneen

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&am...12&lot=4734

It says this is Bitkin 166 (R3). To me it looks like Bitkin 205, which is quite common.

Or am I missing something?

Janne

It is Bitkin 205 which is not rare; however the description, as I read it, says the coin

was struck as a proof but has been subjected to some slight handling. Proofs from

this period are quite rate.

RWJ

According to Severin, there was a change in the silver coinage in 1860. Looks like they are saying this is the old style coinage with small eagle (Kleiner Adler) which is very rare (von grosster Seltenheit) which agrees with Severin. (Severin lists even the new style 1860 silver 5Ks as scarce.) I don't have pictures of the two types so can't confirm that what they are saying is correct.

There are three different types of 1860 5 kopeks Ag:

1859 type (small eagle) which is the type WAG claims this coin is, very rare (like on the left).

1860 special type (large eagle), minted only 1860, very rare. I'm hunting for this coin... :ninja:

1861 new type, which this coin is, not rare.

Janne

Hello. I wouldn't be surprised if WAG messed up; MIM is a different story. The Russians are usually very careful about this sort of thing, and the coin is from their catalog of past sold lots (which have to be somewhat special to make it into their sale). I wonder which auction it's from and how much it sold for? (I don't track Russian silver past 1855).

Instead of Bitkin I looked at Uzdenikov. He illustrates all 3 types for 1860. Are MIM showing the eagle of special design (very rare)?

Uzdenikov notes how these non-approved patterns differ from coins showing the regular eagles (tail is not so wide especially at the root).

The 1760 with eagle of 1759 is also listed as very rare.

Steve

Hello. I wouldn't be surprised if WAG messed up; MIM is a different story. The Russians are usually very careful about this sort of thing, and the coin is from their catalog of past sold lots (which have to be somewhat special to make it into their sale). I wonder which auction it's from and how much it sold for? (I don't track Russian silver past 1855).

Instead of Bitkin I looked at Uzdenikov. He illustrates all 3 types for 1860. Are MIM showing the eagle of special design (very rare)?

Uzdenikov notes how these non-approved patterns differ from coins showing the regular eagles (tail is not so wide especially at the root).

The 1760 with eagle of 1759 is also listed as very rare.

Steve

The 1860 5 kopecks on the Ekaterina website is the type of 1861, not the special eagle of 1860. The listings are

usually very good but there are occasional lapses, such as the 1786/5 2 roubles used as an illustration for 1785.

RWJ

Archived