CoinPeople.com

1795 EM 5 Kopek

lennysky

Hello everyone, bought this coin years back. It appears to have an underlying, impressed leftover of another 5 kopeks. I believe I have an explanation, but hoped to hear thoughts from real experts that frequent this forum.

new_coin.JPG

new_coin_2.JPG

Hello everyone, bought this coin years back. It appears to have an underlying, impressed leftover of another 5 kopeks. I believe I have an explanation, but hoped to hear thoughts from real experts that frequent this forum.

Could it be a die clash?

There was a discussion some time ago with a denga that I had as well as in this coin forum:

912910.jpg

At that time, I believe rittenhouse argued that it is a die clash and I believe alex had a similar coin being discussed. His explanation is a lot technical than what I can grasp and I leave it for you to understand it :ninja: The only difference is, yours is waaaaay too clear and it's impressive by its own right.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=20336

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=18751

Congratulations!

Too bad it is not Pauls overcoinage series :ninja:

Nevertheless it should be worth more than just a plain 5 Kopeks of the same year??

Well, I like this type of minting error. But I'm not sure how many collectors are interested in them. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder ;)

I've picked up 2 more die clashed 5 kopeeks EM, but both coins only have single side damage.

Here's a 1771:

1771em5to6.jpg

and here's a 1793:

1793em5qm4.jpg

Its a beauty. I like these kind of anomalies myself, but its is always good to know what others pay for them.

Both are eBay finds. The 1771 is ugly, and I don't think anyone who was interested noticed the eagle heads. 1793, as I recall, was sold as a possible Paul's overstrike, but I guess no one believed the seller. I picked both of them up at very reasonable prices.