CoinPeople.com

Hus's acquisitions

Hussulo

1461-75 GERMANY MAYENCE (Mainz) Gold Gulden Adolf II Von Nassau , Fr-1628. AU55 ANACS

x6ld9l.jpg

about Adolf II

"In 1244, Archbishop Siegfried III granted Mainz a city charter, which included the right of the citizens to establish and elect a city council. The city saw a feud between two Archbishops in 1461, namely Diether von Isenburg, who was elected Archbishop by the cathedral chapter and supported by the citizens, and Adolf II von Nassau, who had been named Archbishop for Mainz by the Pope. In 1462, the Archbishop Adolf II raided the city of Mainz, plundering and killing 400 inhabitants. At a tribunal, those who had survived lost all their property, which was then divided between those who promised to follow Adolf II. Those who would not promise to follow Adolf II (amongst them Johannes Gutenberg) were driven out of the town or thrown into prison. The new Archbishop revoked the city charter of Mainz and put the city under his direct rule. Ironically, after the death of Adolf II his successor was again Diether von Isenburg, now legally elected by the chapter and named by the Pope."

Taken from Wikipedia.

Seems like a bit of a merciless guy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

I used to collect errors but sold my collection off, but I have always found them fascinating.

I saw these three offered on ebay and couldn't resist:

First one a QEII 3 pence struck 50% off centre.

ph_or_122653_0745125.jpg

Second a 1973 QEII 10 pence double error, struck off centre and clipped error.

ph_or_122654_e5d7676.jpg

The last one and really unusual, a 1977 Queen's Silver Jubilee Crown (25p) with a huge struck through scrap error. Considering these coins weren't struck for circulation I don't know how it was missed. I've never seen one of this type on a crown before.

ph_or_122655_c5aaeee.jpg

and finally a coin I had bought to sell on my website but I'm thinking of keeping it myself. It's an Alexander III penny with 28 points to the stars. I don't believe a definite mint has been identified to this coin but it is believed 28 points may indicate it being minted in Ayr.

ph_or_121441_431c666.jpg

• 1 month later...

Antonio Venier (circa 1330 - 23 November 1400) was a Doge of Venice reigning from October 1382 to his death. He was interred in the Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, a traditional burial place of the doges.

3136dub.jpg

Italy. Venice. Ducat, ND.

Antonio Venier (1382-1400). Fr-1229; Nomisma-15.

3.54 grams

Archived