CoinPeople.com

Hus's acquisitions

Hussulo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't normally go for modern coins and this one is more a bullion coin but my latest purchase combines two of my collecting interests gold and errors.

Its a US 2003 $5 with a rather large struck through error.

Sellers pictures:

2u8cl68.jpg

2hwdyt4.jpg

Interesting for 2 reasons: 1) I thought the MS bullion coins were for big time investors who didn't care about proofs and 2) I wonder if those are actually more lax in standards than circulating coins.

Interesting for 2 reasons: 1) I thought the MS bullion coins were for big time investors who didn't care about proofs and 2) I wonder if those are actually more lax in standards than circulating coins.

This one's a business strike although it does look prooflike. I'm sure but I think they will strike proofs of these as well though. As for the lax standards again I'm not sure but these are minted at the US mint and they have apparently tightened up their standards a lot in the past decade but the occasional one will still happen and slip by.

Not sure about US Mint, but in Canada, all gold bullion coins are individually fed and struck by someone, so they'd have to be really sleeply to let something like that to get past them!

Charles I

315fpc4.jpg

The Oxford mint was only set up for a handful of years during the Civil War, when Charles I made Oxford his headquarters, as London and the Mint there were held by Parliament.

Coincraft 1998 says:

"These issues are easily identifiable by the reverse design which has the Deceleration with the date below and plumes above.

All these issues are very rare, but specimens for collectors do exist outside museums. The issues are extremely crude in style and often have weakness in the legends due to the poor strike. Specimens exist from VG to VF condition."

The deceleration on the reverse:

RELIG : PROT : LEG : ANG : LIBER : PAR

“To uphold the Protestant Religion, the Laws of England and the

Liberty of Parliament”

1644 Oxford mint, Charles I Unite. Spink 2735, same dies as Schneider 325, Brooker 853.

1pchhe.jpg

I'm not the best photographer around and found this coin hard to image properly. It has lots of lustre and die polisshing lines (which are raised and run below the devices) on both the reverse and obverse which can be seen next to the plumes on the reverse.

A good little write up on Unites:

http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=unitehistoryof.html

• 1 month later...

One of my recent purchases British Museum 130 photographic slides of coins and medals.

r42_001.JPG

r42_008.JPG

r42_013.JPG

r42_002.JPG

2ryfwh2.jpg

2n17rsl.jpg

jrg2ns.jpg

I contacted Mr Attwood of the British Museums coins and medal department to enquire about them and he said:

"Dear Mr..

Thank you for your enquiry. It is almost certain that the slides were taken by Museum photographers for official purchases. The range of subjects visible on the website suggests they were for various publications and/or exhibitions."

• 1 month later...

I should add:

I would grade it around VF35. It has been cleaned, although it isn't harsh, I can't see any hairlines. I'm just going to leave it in an envelope and let it tone over again. I won it for just under $350 and thought it was neat as I've never had a New Jersey copper yet.

The "Encyclopaedia of Colonial and Early American Coins, Bowers, Whitman 2009

prices them at:

G4: $60, VG-8: $150, F-12: $220, VF-20: $650, EF-40: $1400, AU-50: $3000"

My max bid was $365 and even though it has been cleaned, I don't feel what I won it for was a too crazy a price.

• 4 weeks later...

1895 Mo B Mexico Gold 1 peso

I'm not sure what the B is (minters initial?) but most dates have an M. This one is a B other letters include F, G, R H, FZ and Z

a3o3fp.jpg

Relatively low mintage of 8,994 , this is for both B and M coins of this date.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased this little gold coin.

vytahv.jpg

Krause doesn't rate it as anything special however my Hans Schlumberger, European Gold Coins Guide Book calls the plain edge ones patterns and says many were rumoured to have been melted down.

etxwl4.jpg

Archived