CoinPeople.com

Hus's acquisitions

Hussulo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

2hr39cx.jpg

1602 James VI Sword & Sceptre (120 Shillings)

James VI became king of Scotland in 1585 at the age of 21. he was the only child of Mary, Queen of Scots. On 24 March 1603,

he succeeded Elizabeth I , to become James I of England. He then ruled England, Scotland and Ireland for 22 years.

I bought three miss-struck coins at a local table top antiques fair on Friday.

The first two are clipped planchets:

2el5aip.jpg

I liked this one because the clip is almost exactly at six o'clock.

Some people try and collect what is called a clock collection of clipped planchets for the same type of coin. I.e one with a clip at 12 o'clock, then 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc. Until you have an example of all 12.

I might try that some day.

2w3q5qg.jpg

The next coin has me a bit puzzled I have to weigh it but, even though thir are a few scatches on the reverse, I don't think it's been filed down. If it hasn't been filed, then it isn't like any error I know of, as all would leave some impression. The only way it could have been made would be with the use of one (obverse) die.

10rs5l0.jpg

I better weigh it before I get to exited though

I took the coin out of the 2x2 and weighed it. It weighs 10.74 grams on my scales.

According to the books it should weigh 11.3 grams, but I weighed 2 other 10p coins of the same type on my scales and one weighed 11.23 and the other 11.19.

The edge is also plain and it is the same size as a normal coin:

10ojugz.jpg

A couple:

2q20r2f.jpg

and another coin from the Eliasberg collection:

2hmdeyx.jpg

Token 5 soles.Fr-76. 1.67 grams.

Ex. John H. Clapp Collection, 1942.

I've re-imaged my Serbian 20 Dinar.

5vvc3t.jpg

and Pittman Syria 1/2 Pound.

w97329.jpg

I love the Syrian, Hus. Question: Eliasberg and Pittman are two very well known American collectors. How well known are they in world coins? Did they have similarly legendary collections?

Thanks, guys I really like it too. There was a 1 pound for sale at the same time by the seller, also of Pittman pedigree slabbed MS66 if I remember correctly.

I love the Syrian, Hus. Question: Eliasberg and Pittman are two very well known American collectors. How well known are they in world coins? Did they have similarly legendary collections?

In deed yes, Pittman was an avid collector of Canadian coins as other World coins an Eliasberg had a very impresive World gold coin collection.

Here's a bit about them both:

PITTMAN

The first part of his coins were auctioned on the 21st October 21 1997, in Baltimore MD.

The final Pittman sale was held in August 1999. It consists of his foreign coins and its estimated value is $10-15 million.

Not a wealthy man, he started collecting in the 1930's and spent about $100,000 on coins. The sale of his coins totaled over $30,000,000. As far as I can find out he was the first President of the Canadian Numismatic Association that wasn't a Canadian.

"Pittman has received many awards for his efforts in numismatics. In 1962 he received the ANA Medal of Merit. In 1980 the ANAs highest honor, the Farran Zerbe Award, was bestowed upon him. Of all the awards he has received through the years, the Numismatic News, Numismatic Ambassador Award in 1985 probably typifies the man and his personality better than any other."

http://coins.ha.com/common/features/numisarticles.php?id=211

"John Jay Pittman, though not a wealthy man to begin with, built a vast and famous coin collection. He accomplished that feat by studying relentlessly, then shrewdly investing a large percentage of his limited income as a middle manager for Eastman Kodak and his wife's income as a schoolteacher. In 1954, he mortgaged his house to travel to Egypt and bid on coins at the King Farouk Collection auction. John sacrificed his and his family's lifestyle over the course of many decades. He passed away in 1996, with no apparent regrets, and his long-suffering family justly received the benefit of his efforts when the collection was sold at auction for over $30 million."

http://historical.ha.com/common/articles/i...article=collect

"John Jay Pittman was a collector's collector. Pittman was a humble man who earned between $10,000 and $15,000 per year working for Kodak as a chemical engineer. He had a love for coins and invested half his salary into scarce to rare gold and silver coins. He purchased the most historically significant coins his budget allowed. Mr. Pittman invested about $100,000.00 during his life on coins. The first section of his holdings were recently sold at auction for $11,822,283.00. The second portion of his coins will soon be sold, and conservative estimates are that these coins will bring about $18 million. That will bring the value of his collection to $30 million.The growth rate of 30,000% is astounding."

"Mr. Pittman understood the wisdom of buying quality scarce to rare coins, holding them long-term and watching their value multiply upon resale. Remember, Pittman didn't have large amounts of money to buy coins and he also raised a family. Instead of buying stocks and bonds he preferred real wealth in the form of scarce to rare coins. His strategy was to buy true rarities and hold. He let the law of supply and demand, the dropping U.S. dollar and inflation transform his $100,000.00 into $30,000,000.00."

http://www.monetaryportfolio.com/i_coinCol...g_investing.asp

ELIASBERG

"Louis Eliasberg[/b] (18961976) was an American financier and numismatist. He is best-known in the numismatic community for putting together the only complete collection of United States coins ever assembled [1]. Although the set was not truly "complete" by modern standards (for instance, it did not differentiate between proofs and circulation strikes, as most modern collectors and set registries do), it is still the most comprehensive U.S. numismatic collection of all time. It included a 1933 $20 coin, which Eliasberg had bought illegally in 1933-this was sent to the FBI on the completion of the collection."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Eliasberg

Aswel as US coins Eliasberg also collecdted world gold coins.

"Featuring 2800 world gold coins spanning the entire world and more than 2000 years of history

The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection of World Coins & Medals

Monday 18 & Tuesday 19 April 2005

Park Lane Ballroom,

Helmsely Park Lane Hotel,

36 Central Park South,

New York NY10019

Featuring some dramatic rarities and highly sought after coins in remarkable condition, the collection also includes the John H. Clapp Collection of World Gold Coins, purchased in tact by Mr Eliasberg in the early 1940s, which in turn encompasses treasures from the Waldo C. Newcomer Collection.

Approximately two-thirds of the sale focuses on the notable issues of Central and South America and features some of the most significant gold Latin American rarities in existence, many with a distinguished provenance such as Clapp, Newcomer, Mehl, Hammel and Flanagan.

European coinage also forms a major part of the Eliasberg Collection and consists primarily of coins from the British Isles, France, Italy, Germany and Austria. Russian coins and medals include pieces in both gold and platinum. Dozens of patterns, off-metal strikes in gold, and rare medals are also on offer, as are classic Proof sets with gold. Asia is also represented with rarities from Japan and Korea among the highlights."

http://www.spink.com/resources/press/eliasberg_pr.asp

I think I own about 12 Eliasberg gold coins now. Along way to go about another 2782 if I want them all.

:ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not recent purchases, but they've just come back from PCGS.

I thought about getting them slabbed and selling them, but since I am now collecting gold coins I am going to hang onto them.

1900$10- came back as MS62. I thought MS62 but was hoping 63

2u3v0xg.jpg

1835 $2 1/2- Came back code 98- Damaged or tooled.

2nivd3o.jpg

t6vti9.jpg

A bit surprised with this one. I don't think it's tooled. If it is I must of missed it. As for the damage? there are a couple of very small scratches above the eagles beak, perhaps that is what they are referring to? :HMMMMM:

1835 $2 1/2 McCloskey-1, R.2. This variety is identified by the wide AM in AMERICA, a reuse of the die that earlier coined the 1834 Large Head McCloskey-A. The centers show some blending of detail, but the overall strike is good. Despite similar mintages, the 1835 is considerably scarcer than the first-year 1834. It is also predictably scarcer than the high mintage 1836.

For anyone interested PCGS will now slab problem coin (except for plugged coins)

They will put them in a slab saying "genuine" but no grade given.

Their code numbers on the genuine slabs are:

• 91 Artificially Colored
  • 92 Cleaned
  • 93 Planchet (Coin Blank) Flaw
  • 94 Altered Surface
  • 95 Scratched or Rim Dented
  • 97 Environmentally Damaged
  • 98 Other Damage

PCGS will not encapsulate coins that are judged to have the following issues:

• 90 Not Genuine
  • 99 Active PVC

Thanks Art. The only bad thing about collecting gold coins is that when gold prices go up like they do, buying the coins you like becomes harder.

I've also bought a couple of new 1/3 farthings for my set. I'll upload the pictures soon.

GORGEOUS! Never knew that denomination existed!

Thanks. There was actually 12 coins made in the denomination in total. Some were minted for other rulers as well as Victoria.

I am 2 coins short of a complete set. I have asked PCGS expand the set to include the other monarchs which they said they will do.

There were also 1/4 and 1/2 farthings minted.

Yesterday I was at a local antiques fair and although I don't collect medals, when I saw the dealer putting this one out I couldn't resist. Its details are absolutely stunning and in high relief.

It's a 21st Anniversary of the Volunteer Movement Medal 1881, by N. Macphail after N. Paton, Crowned, veiled, draped bust of Queen Victoria facing, dividing V.-R/St. Michael shouldering sword standing before female protecting children, 64 mm.

20v0qr8.jpg

n38e3n.jpg

1t1par.jpg

ix8uav.jpg

2cp6u6o.jpg

According to BHM, the only ones produced were copper/bronze and Silver. The original box was red leather with red Velvet and silk.

I'm pretty sure mine is white metal and comes in a purple/ blue velvet case.

My one is 2 1/2 inches and it weighs 74.2 grams.

BHM doesn't give weights does anyone have a copy of Eimer's book?

It has been inscribed around the edge at a later date "Lanarkshire rifle volunteers PTE. J.W. Robertson Q Coy 1st. LRV. 1898" .

Unfortunately I can't find any information on PTE. J.W. Robertson.

This one has since been sold.

Archived