CoinPeople.com

Hus's acquisitions

Hussulo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great medal, Hus. did anyone get back to you with answers to your questions on the medal?

Thanks. As far as I can see it is unlisted in white metal. A Victorian medal collector I know said

"Now that I see it, I would say that it was probably a presentation piece. "

• 2 months later...

dyw193.jpg

mab579.jpg

1z5iz4o.jpg

Dies for 1857 Ecuador 2 real coins. Most likely for counterfeit coins, but hopefully for contemporary counterfeit coins.

From what I can gather:

The designs for these coins and the 4 and 8 Reales vary quite a bit even for the same date.

This was because, they used several dies to mint same date of coin. You can see a big difference in 4 Reales dated 1844, 1857 among others. There are coins that have inverted V instead of A, or letter Q in replace O, etc.

In Ecuadorian numismatic 19th century the counterfeit coins were very common.

At that time because there was so many counterfeit coins the government legalized counterfeit coins (These coins are known as Floreana), with the purpose of preventing the collapse of the industry of that era.

The coin of 2 Reales coins dated 1857 are classed as rare now. But at the time they were minted in a large number, more that the some of the coins minted from 1847 to 1852, but many were sent to Peru to be melted. (on January 7 1858, , Peruvian forces moved in and occupied city).

A lot of things including coin dies were "lost" when "La casa de Moneda de Quito" was destroyed by an earthquake on march 22 of 1859 according to a book by Melvin Hoyos.

The bag I bought them in:

2427b0l.jpg

15wzz1h.jpg

2mqt34l.jpg

ofz2w.jpg

fc5jb.jpg

11rqixf.jpg

Although quite small they are heavy.

Too heavy for my digital scales so I had to weigh them on my kitchen scales.

The obverse die weighs: approx 180 grams

The obverse die weighs: approx 190 grams

Dies for 1857 Ecuador 2 real coins.

Most likely for counterfeit coins, but hopefully for contemporary counterfeit coins.

From what I can gather:

The designs for these coins and the 4 and 8 Reales vary quite a bit even for the same date.

This was because, they used several dies to mint same date of coin. You can see a big difference in 4 Reales dated 1844, 1857 among others. There are coins that have inverted V instead of A, or letter Q in replace O, etc.

In Ecuadorian numismatic 19th century the counterfeit coins were very common.

At that time because there was so many counterfeit coins the government legalized counterfeit coins (These coins are known as Floreana), with the purpose of preventing the collapse of the industry of that era.

The coin of 2 Reales coins dated 1857 are classed as rare now. But at the time they were minted in a large number, more that the some of the coins minted from 1847 to 1852, but many were sent to Peru to be melted. (on January 7 1858, , Peruvian forces moved in and occupied city).

A lot of things including coin dies were "lost" when "La casa de Moneda de Quito" was destroyed by an earthquake on march 22 of 1859 according to a book by Melvin Hoyos.

• 2 months later...

My latest purchase:

France Ecu D'or au Dauphine Francois I, type 1e

"Francis I (French: François Premier) (12 September 1494 – 31 March 1547), was crowned king of France in 1515 in the cathedral at Reims and reigned until 1547.

zler74.jpg

Francis I is considered to be France's first Renaissance monarch. His reign saw France make immense cultural advances. He was a contemporary of Suleiman the Magnificent of the Ottoman Empire, as well as of Henry VIII of England and of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, his great rivals."

Description from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_I_of_France

347wba0.jpg

Écu d'or du Dauphine, n.d. (1515-1547). Dauphine Arms, one dolphin and one lis in each angle. Rv. Floreate cross.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another superb acquisition Hus!

However, I must confess to being taken by this one;

347wba0.jpg

Out of curiosity, what diameter is it?

• 5 months later...

My latest purchase for my World gold coin and medal collection:

fuw3ty.jpg

Mint Year: 1928

Condition: Proof

Engraver: J. Bernhart.

Reference: Bruce: X6.

Material: Gold (.750) ASW 0.171 Oz!

Diameter: 23mm

Weight: 6.48gm

From the sellers listing:

2n84ea1.jpg

Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg (listen (help·info)), known universally as Paul von Hindenburg (listen (help·info)) (October 2, 1847 – August 2, 1934) was a German field marshal and statesman.

Hindenburg enjoyed a long if undistinguished career in the Prussian army, eventually retiring in 1911. He was recalled at the outbreak of the First World War, and first came to national attention, at the age of sixty-six, as the victor at Tannenberg in 1914. As Germany's supreme commander from 1916, he and his chief of staff, Erich Ludendorff, rose in the German public's esteem until Hindenburg came to eclipse the Kaiser himself. Hindenburg retired again in 1919, but returned to public life one more time in 1925 to be elected as the second President of Germany.

Though 84 years old and in poor health, Hindenburg was obliged to run for re-election in 1932 as the only candidate who could defeat Adolf Hitler, which he did in a runoff. In his second term as President, he did what he could to oppose the Nazi Party's rise to power, but was eventually obliged to appoint Hitler as Chancellor in January 1933. In March he signed the Enabling Act of 1933 which gave special powers to Hitler's government. Hindenburg died the next year, after which Hitler declared the office of President vacant and made himself the "Führer", or the combination of the president and chancellor.

The famed zeppelin Hindenburg that was destroyed by fire in 1937 had been named in his honour, as is the causeway joining the island of Sylt to mainland Schleswig-Holstein, the Hindenburgdamm, built during his time in office.

Does anyone have any info on these?

• 3 weeks later...

Newest purchase:

PCGS MS64 1856 slanted 5, type 3 gold $1

wbxyee.png

r8y2zd.jpg

2s69atg.jpg

The 56 slant six is one of the most common coins of the series, overall mintage 1.56 million but quite hard to find in high grade.

Estimated MS survivors 1200 to 2000.

Certified population MS 63 and higher 142 coins (some might have been re-submitted).

NOW SOLD.

Newest purchase:

PCGS MS64 1856 slanted 5, type 3 gold $1

This was the date of the end of the U.S. Civil War.

That's a sweetheart all right... but I feel compelled to point out that the Civil War ended in 1865, not 1856. :ninja:

Right you are. I must have remembered the date wrong and swapped the 5 and the 6 round in my head.

Amended thanks.

Beautiful, Hus. Do you have a lot of mid-19th C gold?

I have a few from various other countries. The only 19th century US gold coins I have is this one, the $2 1/2 (first post in this thread) and I recently purchased a late 19th century $10.

More on that when I receive it. :ninja:

The gold dollar is a very neat coin. That's a Longacre Indian Princess on that beauty. I would love to have a gold $1 type set at some point but honestly doubt that I'll ever have the resources necessary to put one together. (Short of a lottery win that is.)

Right you are. I must have remembered the date wrong and swapped the 5 and the 6 round in my head.

Amended thanks.

I did that once writing down my year of birth on a job application, and promptly made myself eligible for retirement. XD

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My latest purchase an unusual error:

fvlqq9.jpg

It appears to be a struck through scrap error but the scrap has left a brockage image on the obverse. The only theory I can think off was a piece of scrap metal was fed into the dies with a previous coin it was struck by the reverse die which may have been positioned above, the scrap metal then fell onto the obverse die and this coin was the next one to be stuck. The scrap piece of metal with a partial impression of the reverse die then left an incuse partial brockage imprint on this coin.

Archived