1. 1. What type of Holder is best?

• Air-Tite
    • Kointain
    • Hard Plastic
    • Mylar flips
    • SuperSafe flips
    • Saflips
    • Other

I interpreted "hard plastic" to refer to anything ranging from Capitol plastic holders (like the date set holders) to slab-like holders like those made by Amos, Collector Safe, and Miller Hobby.

I personally use slab-like holders for my personal collection, as well as when sending out certain coins through the mail. The inert, close-fit keeps the coin snug and secure, just as with Air-tites, and the hard plastic helps to keep foreign objects from damaging the coin (just as with Air-tites, again).

Yet, unlike Air-tites, the slab-like holders allow you to label in-depth information about the coin and/or series directly to the holder without taking away from the display of the coin itself. They also allow you to bring uniformity to your collection display (IF you have one).

With regards to my personal collection, I do not keep my coins with an "investor" attitude. My coins are for me to enjoy. I will pick varied spots to display my coins, whenever possible. And the slab-like holders are great for this, even more than Air-tites, in my opinion. With the secure snap-lock on these slabs, I do not have to worry about the coin falling out or becoming damaged if the slab falls from its perch to the ground.

Of course, those who prefer to keep their coins under lock and key inside an institute with rigid "visiting hours", slab-like holders stack nicely and evenly, though, in this case Air-tites would probably be the best choice, since the extra labeling area is not needed in coin prison, the space saved with Air-tites would be ideal for safe deposit boxes.

Sorry! I'm a coin cabinet man, myself. Lots of lovely coins all on red baize cushions. :ninja:

Same, but I use coin capsules as the felt inserts seriously harm the silver hammereds. The more expensive ones are in a bank vault nicely stored in Lighthouse coin capsules!

So I guess I'd go hard plastic, although I do like my Victorian mahogany...

I couldn't vote since you left off coin folders, coin albums and you didn't explain what you ment by hard plastic. There are those plastic rolls, plastic sheets with 20 slots, plain plastic sheets to cover coins and many others. I also couldn't vote since I use numerous methods to store coins. I have many in 2x2's, many in those plastic flips, some in those hard individual holders not air tights, some in just jars and many, many in albums. Probably the majority of my coins are in plastic rolls with Albums runnning a close second. Then of course there is those long, red cardboard boxes that hold 2 rows of 2x2's with a capacity of about 150 flips.

My personal preference is the album and then the album in a large zip lock plastic bag. I've been collecting coins for well over 60 years and really have coins almost everywhere and in everything.

Vast majority of my coins are in a mahogany coin cabinate. I did used to keep some of them in there, in airtites (the modern ones), but some of them must have had PVC cos some of my 10ps developed the typical symptoms. Luckily the 10ps were all collected from change and thus nothing was lost. TThus i've retired all the airtites. The older coins i own are in the cabinate without airtites and are fine, they've been in there years now and it's the only storage method (except slabs) that i haven't had an issue with (the house is very humid in the summer).

Given the choices about i'd vote for the slabs 'hard plastic'. I won't use the mylar or other soft type of coin packets. Back in 2002 i lost about 1/3rd of my collection to PVC damage, which in turn wasn't actually due to the coin holders (either the mylar ones or the plastic ones) but due to the cheap album pages they were in. Since i don't know the quality (PVC or not) of the holders when they arrive at my house, i soon remove them!

OK so I went back and voted OTHER. That still makes little CENTS you know. Your poll for purposes of writing and article about coin holders is sort of like a poll to try to find out what car people drive and listing only 5 makes and then saying OTHER. Or which airlines do you use and listing two and then OTHER. There are numerous polls taken by professionals all the time where they purposely do this leaving out items so they can twist the results to read what they want.

A very famous person many years ago named Dr. Kinzie wrote a book about the sex lives of females. He got his statistics in houses of ill repute, homes for unweb mothers, girls and women walking the streets. Gee no wonder his book ended up as trash.

If you really want complete statistics on this subject I suggest you list all the possible coin holders.

As I mentioned if you want some honest, realistic, true results you should list anything that people put coins into. Such as:

Mylar flips, Paper coin envelopes, cardboard type 2x2's, cardboard type 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, coin cabinets, air tites, coin albums, coin folers, Hard plastic holders, jars, cans, boxes, etc.

If you ever go to a coin show you would notice that probably 90% of the dealers now use the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" size cardboard flips.

It really would be an interesting article if you could list all the different types of places people store coins, the percentages of each type, even the different manufacturers of some of them. Such as for Albums Whitman, Dansco, Littleton, etc. Now this would become an article that even coin magazines might be interested in publishing.

Archived